8yo Girlie Peeing Inside.....

Medical condition aside, I have the same issue with my chi I got from a breeder at Christmas. The breeder did suggest I keep her outside (!) but she is a pet.

She was pretty good for a while and then relapsed...so, in wet weather, there is a reasonable chance of a wee inside if I turn my back/leave the room. Other times - it is sporadic. I try to take her out consistently and she gets night and morning walks. She knows how to use the dog door and uses it without prompting. Then, frustratingly, a puddle turns up. Sometimes 1 puddle for 3 days in a row, other times, nothing for days.

She is home alone all day when I work (3 days a week) and I very rarely find a puddle when I get home at 7pm.

She's 8, too. I think like most un-housetrained adult dogs she'll 'get it' eventually. I do praise profusely when she goes outdoors...but I might try the "on command" approach, with treats - she is an avid eater. It is so disappointing when the 'honeymoon' period for best behaviour ends!!!

PS it helps to have other dogs to show her the way.

Ginger's Mum I read your whole post nodding my head. :laugh: I can empathise with you.

I thought after our long stint of no accidents that we were on the home straight too. The other night I had been watching her most of the night (when she starts sniffing around that is) and walked into the spare room to put the pillow covers back on the bed (so we are talking not even a minute) and came out to a puddle :rofl::rofl:

We have had a good week! Dogmad's suggestion started off well but ended up every time we went in the garden she fixated on me and my biscuit hand - as she didn't watch the others pee, she just saw them run back in the house and followed them. No more treats in the garden, just get on with the business! I am sorry it didn't work. Would be good to have a dog who goes on command, particularly in wet weather...or before car trips etc

We have had a good week! Dogmad's suggestion started off well but ended up every time we went in the garden she fixated on me and my biscuit hand - as she didn't watch the others pee, she just saw them run back in the house and followed them. No more treats in the garden, just get on with the business! I am sorry it didn't work. Would be good to have a dog who goes on command, particularly in wet weather...or before car trips etc

You need much smaller treats that they can't see, perhaps hidden in your pocket. If my dogs knew I had a biscuit in my hand they would be far more interested in that than weeing.

Persistence is the key and small treats, you've only been going a couple of days - change treats and keep going. It is only required for 2-3 days until the dog has it and then no treats are required. As I say some breeds take longer ....

By the way, I've got a couple that will still go inside if it's raining and they are perfectly trained - 1 is a chi x and the other a malt/westie boy.