Barney Hates The Lite N Easy Man....

I get Lite N Easy food delivered once a week, and it is the same delivery driver every week. For some reason Barney (pictured in my avatar) hates him. Barney is always a pretty good watchdog, but settles once he knows the person or when I show that the person is welcome. But with this man it is different. I have to put Barney in another room. He seems like a nice gentle fellow, so it would be good if I could train Barney not to act like he is going to attack him. The only thing I can think of is that he is Asian and perhaps Barney is racist :)

Any advice? He is only here for 30 seconds at a time, so not sure how much effort to put into it, but do you think I could try and get him to offer Barney food? What other things can I do to show Barney that he can be trusted.

Barney is advanced obedience trained and quite clever, so is good at learning new things.

Luckily I have Mac as well who is very nice to him, which sort of balances it out :thumbsup:

Katie

If the delivery man is agreeable, it can't hurt to have him casually fling a liver treat in Barney's general direction when he arrives.

Jack was like that with the man who came around to check our Electoral Roll listings, and with my neighbour's 21yo son. Not with anyone else so far ...

Does the Lite 'N' Easy man wear a particular uniform -- a hat, noisy keys on his belt, long jacket that flaps about, does he wear a strong aftershave ... ? I'm clutching at straws here :thumbsup:

Does the Lite 'N' Easy man wear a particular uniform -- a hat, noisy keys on his belt, long jacket that flaps about, does he wear a strong aftershave ... ? I'm clutching at straws here :thumbsup:

Nope he's just a nice ordinary man trying to do his job. He might wear one of those reflective jackets, but I'm sure B-boy has come across those before. As he has with other Asian men before without problem also. It just seems to be this particular person.

I think the first time he came he may have looked the wrong way i.e directly at Barney through the window. I have a feeling that's when the trouble started. He is nice to him and likes dogs 'though thank goodness and always asks what he's done wrong or what he can do. I guess I could put Barney on lead and get him to throw him a treat and see what happens. Might work over time....

K

I think you need to listen to the dog. :)

Either the man is evil - or the diet is. :thumbsup:

Either way -

Save your money and work out your own eating regime. Something you can stick to forever - not just while you are paying Lite & whatever.

The Lite n Easy man should bring sausage :cry: or chicken :eek: or steak. :cry::mad And do as you say, start off by throwing yummy food in Barney's general direction, and let Barney take it upon himself to approach the guy taking as many weeks as he needs to.

Mel.

Try to remember the first time this particular man delivered? What were you doing? What was the dog doing? What did you do when your dog displayed aggression?.

Just interested.

To be honest, I can't really remember, but I think what happened is that Barney was looking out of our front window and as the guy was leaving he turned and looked at Barney directly. This sent Barney off into a fit of barking aggressively. I probably did something like say "Barney, leave it" in my gruff voice. The man left, drama over. Until the next visit and so on.

Also, while I like the idea of Barney thinking diets are evil and getting the man to bring sausage :cry: in defence of Lite N Easy, I have lost 24 kilos over the last year or so - about 18 of those on the program. I do not intend to put weight back on and understand that in order to maintain a healthy weight I need to monitor my calorie intake for the rest of my life. LnE is a convenient way to do this and costs me less than I used to spend on food and drink when I wasn't watching my calories. I know that if I went back to my former way of eating I will put kilos back on. LnE has taught me what 1200 calories looks/feels like. So Barney's disagreement with the delivery man aside, I'm happy with it.

Katie

Just to let you know we had a very successful delivery today.

Put Barney on lead and made him sit. Gave the LnE man some biscuits and asked him to drop them just in front of Barney.

After a false start when Mac ran over and gobbled the first one :) Barney received two biscuits from the man without making a sound or any sort of threatening movement. It was all very calm and civilised.

Will try again next week, but feeling good about today. :)

K

that's great :hug:

now hints for my Onsy - he is scared of the LIte and Easy box, it was on the front door step delivered whilst we were on our walk (first time), and Onsy refused to go past it. :mad:thanks::laugh:

i think u said you were shutting him away when the guy came - maybe that accentuated his anxiety as he couldnt see/tell what was going on?

just a thought - my 2 have to have access to visitors or kick up a stink - both lay down and go back to sleep within about 60 seconds :mad (ok rogue pesters them with licks :hug: )