Sore Front Wrists In Border Collie

kirbydog

Sorry to hear about your boy. I would also have his elbows and shoulders checked for OCD. This is often unilateral. Be sure to restrict his excercise, 30 mins is a long time...and add Ester C to his food along with glocosomine with condrolcin (SP). this will help his joints and cartlidge repair and grow.

Thanks for that. We found out how he hurt himself. He stills one of my sisters dogs toys runs up on their retaining wall and instead for running back the same way he jumps down from some considerable height. The will be no visits for a long time. I have bought a Glucosamine supplement with Vit C in it. Can you help me on the dosage? He is 16.8 kg at the moment. Thanks!

I would read the directions first or i would give him a

teaspoon a day,I took my puppy to john martin a

canine muscle & manipulator in wagga and he suggest i use a

product called magna which he uses on greyhounds &horses

the results were astounding,i would strongly recommend you

buy a jar at your local produce for your little mate. lets know go

I would read the directions first or i would give him a

teaspoon a day,I took my puppy to john martin a

canine muscle & manipulator in wagga and he suggest i use a

product called magna which he uses on greyhounds &horses

the results were astounding,i would strongly recommend you

buy a jar at your local produce for your little mate. lets know go

I spoke to my vet and he suggested 500mg/per day. I did some research on it on the net and found out that Jointguard has Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroit and Vit C in it and all of those are part of what I bought. Now I suppose we will need to have patience. Which is very hard with a high powered BC.

Sorry to hear about your boy. I would also have his elbows and shoulders checked for OCD. This is often unilateral. Be sure to restrict his excercise, 30 mins is a long time...and add Ester C to his food along with glocosomine with condrolcin (SP). this will help his joints and cartlidge repair and grow.

Thanks for that. We found out how he hurt himself. He stills one of my sisters dogs toys runs up on their retaining wall and instead for running back the same way he jumps down from some considerable height. The will be no visits for a long time. I have bought a Glucosamine supplement with Vit C in it. Can you help me on the dosage? He is 16.8 kg at the moment. Thanks!

Reducing is weight a little may help as well. 17kg seems awfully big for a 5-6 mth old puppy who hasn't started to fill out. That is the weight of my adult males & they are quite heavy set dogs. Unless he is very tall, that is a lot of weigt to carry around for a puppy with an injury. Can you feel his ribs?

Apologies if I'm off the mark.

Reducing is weight a little may help as well. 17kg seems awfully big for a 5-6 mth old puppy who hasn't started to fill out. That is the weight of my adult males & they are quite heavy set dogs. Unless he is very tall, that is a lot of weigt to carry around for a puppy with an injury. Can you feel his ribs?

I think it depends on the lines. I have a 17kg 6 month old BC who happens to have a cracked elbow, so am feeling your pain KD. He is quite lean and the vet is very happy with his progress. At the same time we have a 12 month bitch who is also exactly 17kg - vet is also happy with her size etc, they are just different builds. The six month boy is about 1.5 inches bigger than our girl - I'm sure there are elephants in the lines somewhere, just registered and named as BC's! :(

NO that is fine. I have reduced his food a little, because our Vet nurse is very strict on weight with dogs. She reckons he is a bit heavy, but I can feel his ribs and seems to be lean in my eyes. He is the same weight as my first BC was at age 1, but he is also already the same height. A lot of people used to ask me if Monty was a minitiare BC. I did not know there was such a thing.... Anyway! Monty always had weight problems, probably due to his auto immune desease. And at the end the cortisone and steroids did not help his shape at all. That is why I am very carefull with Kirby now, but he will be taller than Monty every was. I am still trying to get his portions right and will start putting some vegies in his food to reduce the dry food somewhat. It is hard at the moment, because I have decided not to exercise him until his leg is better. Opting for loads of training instead!

I think it depends on the lines. I have a 17kg 6 month old BC who happens to have a cracked elbow, so am feeling your pain KD. He is quite lean and the vet is very happy with his progress. At the same time we have a 12 month bitch who is also exactly 17kg - vet is also happy with her size etc, they are just different builds. The six month boy is about 1.5 inches bigger than our girl - I'm sure there are elephants in the lines somewhere, just registered and named as BC's! :(

Yeah I am thinking that maybe Kirby. We will see how tall he will really get. Cracked elbow, wow hope your little one gets better soon. How do you deal with the lack of exercise? I feel so bad, that I am not walking him, but he aggrivated his wrist again and I really want for him to get well now. But when they look at you with those sad eyes and then turn around and chew on your chairs and shoes and baby toys I becomes very very hard. I am a sook when it comes to my dog's exercise so it is really hard for me to stay firm. Any ideas?

My boy is 5.5 months old and is 16.4 kgs and I can feel his ribs but he is heavy set. I have had the same thoughts about him being over weight

but I haven't had any comments yet that he looks over weight but a bit of food reduction maybe on the cards.

I must add though Kirby is one good looking boy :)

Yeah I am thinking that maybe Kirby. We will see how tall he will really get. Cracked elbow, wow hope your little one gets better soon. How do you deal with the lack of exercise? I feel so bad, that I am not walking him, but he aggrivated his wrist again and I really want for him to get well now. But when they look at you with those sad eyes and then turn around and chew on your chairs and shoes and baby toys I becomes very very hard. I am a sook when it comes to my dog's exercise so it is really hard for me to stay firm. Any ideas?

I'm pretty lucky with the exercise thing - it's been cracked for 4 weeks before we found it on the weekend, so it's pretty clear that rest, but not total rest will do the trick. Our vet feels that complete rest often causes more harm than good and since the injury isn't 'in' the elbow as such there should be no long term problems. To this end he is being seperated from his mate and kept in a run that doesn't allow him to race around the back yard, nor up and down hills.

The Vet could feel heaps of soft tissue injury on both sides, so didn't want to Xray, but when it hadn't gone away I insisted - lesson 1 - insist from the word go, just in this case we'd have Xrayed the wrong spot.

As for exercise he can still walk for 15 minutes a couple of times a day and do all the obedience/heel work we like (within reason) and isn't pulling up sore. Not a lot for a 6 month BC granted, but we are getting by - funny - when you think about it this is a lot more than a lot of dogs EVER get.

That said he is going nuts! To try and combat we are using lots of toys swapped around, lots of grooming, lots of talking to him and he's kept on the lead if he isn't in his run or in his crate so that he doesn't chase the cats or our other dog. Oh - the other thing is that he's going through a hell fear period and it seems to have been made worse because we've kept him at home for the last 4 weeks not wanting to walk him too far. SOOO......lots of outings in the car and sitting at the side of parks, restuarants, bike paths etc etc. He is getting better in this regard.

Good news is that he's not really stretching any where near what he was and isn't limping first thing in the morning any more - just occasionally down our rather steep driveway when he is cold.

Best of luck with your little one, I know it is frustrating!

Good to hear it isn't anything too serious.

Tony

I'm pretty lucky with the exercise thing - it's been cracked for 4 weeks before we found it on the weekend, so it's pretty clear that rest, but not total rest will do the trick. Our vet feels that complete rest often causes more harm than good and since the injury isn't 'in' the elbow as such there should be no long term problems. To this end he is being seperated from his mate and kept in a run that doesn't allow him to race around the back yard, nor up and down hills.

The Vet could feel heaps of soft tissue injury on both sides, so didn't want to Xray, but when it hadn't gone away I insisted - lesson 1 - insist from the word go, just in this case we'd have Xrayed the wrong spot.

As for exercise he can still walk for 15 minutes a couple of times a day and do all the obedience/heel work we like (within reason) and isn't pulling up sore. Not a lot for a 6 month BC granted, but we are getting by - funny - when you think about it this is a lot more than a lot of dogs EVER get.

That said he is going nuts! To try and combat we are using lots of toys swapped around, lots of grooming, lots of talking to him and he's kept on the lead if he isn't in his run or in his crate so that he doesn't chase the cats or our other dog. Oh - the other thing is that he's going through a hell fear period and it seems to have been made worse because we've kept him at home for the last 4 weeks not wanting to walk him too far. SOOO......lots of outings in the car and sitting at the side of parks, restuarants, bike paths etc etc. He is getting better in this regard.

Good news is that he's not really stretching any where near what he was and isn't limping first thing in the morning any more - just occasionally down our rather steep driveway when he is cold.

Best of luck with your little one, I know it is frustrating!

Good to hear it isn't anything too serious.

Tony

It is frustrating, but I have to be strong now, because that is the only chance he will come good. We was so good already. Only slights limps and then we had to go to hospital with my daughter and I took him to stay with my sister for a little bit and silly dog decides to jump from the retaining wall. Now we know how we injured himself, but we are back to square one. I have decided to give him about 15 minutes walk once or twice a day and heel and obedience work. After two days it seems to be better, but I am certain I am having another 3-4 weeks ahead of me. Luckily our Vet is coming to a party at our house on Saturday, so I am sure he will have a quick look. Xray thankfully came up fine, so no damage to the joint. I may take him to a Manipulator if need be, but the closest one is in Tumut. So a bit out of the way!!

How about excercise for other dogs? Other neighbours got a puppy 2 months ago. So far the dog has not left the yard unless it got out. Kirby likes to play with it, which we had to restrict for now, but the girl never takes it anywhere, never plays with it and they do not let the dog in the house. It breaks my heart and I want to go over there and tell what I think about them. To top it off we came home today, the dog was out and chased our car. That will probably end in a tragedy very shortly. Poor little thing!!!

post-17039-1179914468_thumb.jpg

My boy is 5.5 months old and is 16.4 kgs and I can feel his ribs but he is heavy set. I have had the same thoughts about him being over weight

but I haven't had any comments yet that he looks over weight but a bit of food reduction maybe on the cards.

I must add though Kirby is one good looking boy :thumbsup:

Thanks! He is a cute as he is naughty!

Show some pics of your little one, is it a BC as well?