Scabs Under Arm Pits

Hi all,

I am home sick today and was spending some quality cuddle time with my pup, when I stroked under her armpit and came across a scab. It's about 2cm long and kind of tapers off towards the back of her shoulder. SHe as an identical one on the other side, but there aren't any anywhere else on her. She's eating well and isn't in pain, I haven't caught her chewing on the affected areas either. So Im just wondering what this could possible be due to?

I've applied Savlon cream liberally to both scabs and will keep doing so until they begin clearing up. They're not red and pussy, just normal scabs, otherwise I would have taken her straight to the vet.

We have to go to the vet next week anyway to get Tahni desexed, so if they're still there, I'll have them checked out.

Anyone had something similar, or some advice to give?

(Sorry if this thread doesn't make too much sense, I'm on flu medication which makes it difficult to concentrate and coordinate....)

Kirsty

Im not sure about the size of scab on your pup, but when I first got my puppy I noticed a few pimple like scabs under his armpit and also by his back legs. Got them checked out at the vet when he had his shots and turned out they were just puppy pimples and apparently quite commen?

He hasn't had any for months now though.

Yes I do walk her in a harness... its edge touches this area.... That might be it.

But there's no blood on the harness.

???

I think its definately the harness.

There wont necessarily be any blood. The rubbing will just wear away at the skin, rubbing layers off and then causing the scab.

I would try sewing some wool or something soft around the areas of the harness that rub.

Yes I do walk her in a harness... its edge touches this area.... That might be it.

As soon as I read your post I wondered this as well. I'd say you've found your culprit. Friction/abrasions don't have to come with blood.

Harnesses are not all that "positive" as far as equipment is concerned, as some people like to think - although it could also be a case of it not fitting as well as it should.

As she's only little, why don't you walk her in a flat collar. If you are worried about her slipping her collar, used a limited slip one.

Harnesses generally restrict movement. If the harness is the "dog seat belt" type, it is NOT suitable for walking her and may actually cause long term detriment to her physically. If you look at sled dog harnesses, they never go across the dog's chest - they are the Y variety.