Crucaite Ligament

My Staffy had her Cruciate ligament done about 3 1/2 months ago.

We made sure that she was really careful on it and because she is a quiet dog this was not a problem.

My question is that she still favours the leg at times, should this be a concern or is it a long process to heal.

I am taking her for walks and when running with other staffy she is fine, when walking slowly on lead she is fine, it is when we sort of canter??? that she starts to hold it up. I really don't know that i want to take her back to the Vets as yet as he will probably start with more xrays and injections.

I have also put her on Joint Guard and Fish Oil.

I know that this was a major operation on her and have heard it can take a long time to fully heal, so do I wait a bit longer and see what happens.

Have felt the leg and manipulated and rubbed and from my observations I don't think it is in anyway painful.

Would appreciate some answers to this problem thanks.

Staffies are quite a heavy breed, so it takes longer to heal properly - As opposed to a little dog who only puts 1kg of weight on the leg so and may heal in just a few months.

I'm not an expert, but I would think to wait at least 6 months before any vigourous exercise, such as running with another dog. It's not worth it, if it did more damage the dog would have to go through a lot more trauma.

Speak to your vet, even if it is just to ask the question of when it should be healed well enough to run about with other dogs. Also, adding vitamin C to the diet can strengthen ligaments.

Good luck, hope everything is ok.

Sophie had hers done six months ago and she's been back in full work for probably two months. She sometimes holds it up after tearing around the backyard but after a days rest she's fine.

My Staffy had her Cruciate ligament done about 3 1/2 months ago.

We made sure that she was really careful on it and because she is a quiet dog this was not a problem.

My question is that she still favours the leg at times, should this be a concern or is it a long process to heal.

I am taking her for walks and when running with other staffy she is fine, when walking slowly on lead she is fine, it is when we sort of canter??? that she starts to hold it up. I really don't know that i want to take her back to the Vets as yet as he will probably start with more xrays and injections.

I have also put her on Joint Guard and Fish Oil.

I know that this was a major operation on her and have heard it can take a long time to fully heal, so do I wait a bit longer and see what happens.

Have felt the leg and manipulated and rubbed and from my observations I don't think it is in anyway painful.

Would appreciate some answers to this problem thanks.

The dog can run ok! yes? Slow or fast canter? Cruciate may be a bit too tight or some cartilage damage, even check for a different injury (small) inthat leg, eg toes or pad, regards Garry

Stella had the first leg done 1.5 years ago and the second almost a year ago. The first one is fine, but she still limps on the second one when walks (though she can trot and canter). She is more sore after excersise, so we restrict her to ordinary walks. I recon its pretty ordinary for dogs to hop on 3 when galloping. I wouldn't let it to gallop for long times, rather ask to trot on a lead. If you think its really sore, you might give her a course of Carprofen... thats what we did a few times.

anniejac, which type of repair surgery was done on your dog's cruciate??

This is what is written on her bill.

Repaired R CCL rupture with graft/de angel is and fascial imbircation- bucket handle tear affecting med meniscus so partial menisectomy performed.

I am taking her back to the vets on monday.

I cant understand why after having the operation that she is still after nearly 4 months holding the leg up.

I am a bit worried what he might say and if he wants to do Xrays etc. Sometimes we just take the vets word but there are also times when I Question it.

She also has been on Jointguard for the past 5 weeks.

OK, it's the Deangelis (wrap) method. ;) My housemate's dog had this procedure about 2 months ago.

What post op exercise has your dog had. With Chelsea, she has had to be walked slowly on lead to encourage her to use the leg - otherwise she'll pick it up and run on three. I gather this method can leave a dog with a permanent limp but don't forget that there will have been some muscle wastage as well.

Don't panic. Talk to your vet. Like us, dogs have varying recovery times and this is a major operation.

Will she take weight on the leg at all?