Dog Training/sports In Penrith Nsw Area

I'd just contact the Canine Council. They must have info on all registered clubs for that area.

But when you mention sniffing skills I went to the Blacktown Canine Club ground recently ( near my sisters place at Minchinbury ) for an agility competition. Besides they must do obedience they had an earth dog arae set out and herding. Thought they were lovely grounds.

I don't know much about earth dogs although there is a thread here on DOL. But it involves following a laid scent. Must be fun for nose dogs and yours will love it I'd say!

I'm not 100% but I have a feeling that a beagle would be too big for earthdog. I thought the tunnels were more like terrier size.

Canine Fun Sports teach agility lessons at Castlereagh. If you can keep their noses up, they can be great agility dogs, we have a few where I train.

Also tracking? not sure who to contact but I know lots of people who do it in Sydney & am pretty sure some of their training is around Penrith area.

Don't be fooled by their noses, beagles can and do make good obedience dogs if you put in the time and effort. The most basic command and one of the most important is to teach them to get their noses off the ground - I use the "look" command for my beagle Daisy if her nose is on the ground.

Also as most beagles are quite highly food driven find a treat that you use only for training and one that is of high value to the dog. i.e. - the standard liver treats don't cut it when we are training, I use steamed chicken and/or kabana as treats when training instead. In standard obedience you might not be able to put her nose to "good use" but you can put that drive and determination into another outlet :D My beagle thrives with obed training.

ETA: A lot of beagles owners are put off obedience because they don't see it as something their dog can be good at. I know a few beagles with obedience titles, it can be done and the dogs really enjoy it :rofl:

Edited by husky87

Thanks for the info guys.

Lucy surprisely is not so food driven...or maybe i have the wrong treats? :laugh:

And also she loves to play too much...too too much that she thinks everything is a game. She's usually well behaved when she's tired. :laugh: