Luxating Patella - Need Some Information

hi,

you can look at my information might give you a bit more of an idea, but if your dog is dislocating 3 times a day, and you say staying that way and the dog not being able to unlock that does sound like a severe case im sorry to say. possibly grade 4. the vet would be able to see that as the leg would obviously be at odd angles and also as others have said know by feeling around a bit to make sure don't think he'd need to see that in an x-ray. he would have recommended surgery straight away because as i said, a severe case obviously in his opinion. it is a common problem amongst toy dogs unfortunately and in crosses im afraid as the disease isn't monitored as well due to not putting a fix on bloodlines that may carry it, but normally it may be just grade 1 or possibly 2 which doesn't require surgery.

athritis normally sets in as the dog gets older.

good idea to get a 2nd or maybe even a 3rd opinion before you consider options. and to also school yourself on the disease itself so you have a bit more of an idea. when you get that 2nd and 3rd opinion.

get the vet to give you a grading on what he thinks, the grades go from 1 to 4. 4 being the severest case. then when you go to your second or third opinion also get a grading you'll find the opinions will differ. normally they do.

to start you off on your research, here is my article, still work in progress but will give you an idea anyways.

Patella Luxation article

Hi toydogs - tahnks for joining in.

Oops maybe I didn't make it clear... Molly only recently started and has been doing it 3 times in the past week ... I think it's not that critical and since been on her anti-inflammatory, she's done it once and after she ran around the house while playing with my daughter.

I just rang the Vet and she says that she feels that at this stage, it's prob not critical yet BUT she will need surgery some time in the furute. I will read up on it to familiarise myself and hopefully she will last till about Xmas so I can take 1 mth off work to tend to her....

:rolleyes:

Hi Mollyrulz, I think i assumed that was what you were saying. get your vet to grade it then take it from there. some vets won't for some reason which doesn't help anyone i feel. but if they can grade it then you can work out whether its worth getting surgery or not..... grade 1,2 or 3 can get away with no surgery, we've had several with those grades and also watched many over the years too owned by others in the breed (Chihuahuas) they've managed to have a good quality of life.

may be a good suggestion to wait until you are on hols before you book her in. then you can look after her properly without going to work and worrying your head off whats happening at home alone. I do it, i know that. so i arrange to take holidays makes it much more simpler.

Agree toydogs ... as Vet has said it's not critical, I will do it when I have hols as I do worry ... I'd prob be at work and worry and do half a job!!

Thanks for all the advice. Have learnt heaps from this forum and my knowledge of dogs (and their beahviour) keeps growing each day.

:wink: