Hand Signals

I did have one other question, during trick training i find that i don't think of enough hand signals to give here to learn both voice commands and hand signals. ie: for close training no more than say 10 feet away how big or how different do the hand signals for different tricks have to be.

Ie: lets just say you have a closed fist for sit. would she be able to distinguis 1 finger, then 2 fingers, then turning my hand upside down etc.

just a curious question :D

bret

It will depend on how well you have trained focus and where the focal point is...........but clear, concise signals outside you body's silhouette are easier for your dog to read from a distance.

I would think that finger signals on one hand would make things difficult.

Edited by dogdude

Its fascinating to see the different hand signals used in distance control exercises, by different handlers.

In Open class its optional and it is part of UDX.

Its worth going to an obedience trial just to see that part of the exercise.

hand commands should be the same every time, loud and clear, it is wise to train your dog to both voice and hand commands, until you have established hand signals close to your dog, i would not attempt distance control by hand commands.

using fingers, fists etc you may find it hard for your dog to read from a distance.

best to learn the commands used in obedience trailing and use what is common among dog trainers.

As for trick training if you do a Google on training tricks, you will find info on what hand commands people use for certain tricks etc "wave" most people use a waving hand for this trick.....