Is Your Breed Prone To Bloat?

Anything that loosens the stomach ligaments is of concern - heat and exercise being the two main culprits. Very typey bloodhounds with looser skin are at greater risk of bloat as the ligaments tend to be looser as well. Those with tighter skin (less desirable in the ring) tend to be safer.

Had a visiting bitch bloat only on water - she didn't touch her dinner. She was pretty highly strung.

Had a happy go-lucky 9yo bitch bloat - as it was a 40+ degree day, I only fed her a small piece of lamb flap at midnight, after being locked up for 5 hours. Still bloated.

Recently lost a highly strung boy - was always underweight and ate enormous amounts of food broken up into two meals. At the time there had been several bitches in season over a couple of weeks beforehand. He was always rested for at least two hours before being fed. Eating large amounts is a big risk factor as the stomach ligaments tend to stretch, so use the best quality food you can afford to reduce bulk.

Know of more dogs that have bloated on soaked food than those on dry or raw.

http://www.thenewfoundlandclub.co.uk/files...for_website.pdf

I had a german shepherd with bloat years ago.Unfortunately i didn't know too much about nutrition etc back than and she was feed supermarket kibble and canned food.The night she got bloat she had pinched some cooked broccoli off the kids plates(they'd left them in there cubby house)and the vet thinks that the broccoli fermanted and gave off a gas which caused the bloat.

I am very cautious about not giving any cooked vegies now.I feed Orijen to my girls now and just keep a close eye on them.Don't do anything special but feed a bit later in hot weather and they usually come inside after dinner and lay down so its easy to watch them