Tips On My Dogs Diet

Im not sure if Im feeding my dog the correct portions. I dont have a scale so Im just going by how much I think she should eat and I dont know if Im right. Now that my dog is use to the raw diet Im feeding her she always wants more which makes it harder because I dont know if shes really hungry or not.

My dogs a bichon, 7kg.

This week Ive been feeding one chicken wing, small piece of chicken carcass, about a fist sized piece of meat cut into cubes.

She also gets treats during the day. Shes just gone through a pigs ear in the last two days.

Im not sure if that appropriate for a dog the size of a bichon.

Ill also like to introduce more variety and make my own treats for her. Any ideas??

Is it ok for dogs to eat bread? I gave some crust and she really enjoyed it.

She loves cheese as well. What type of cheese is better for dogs? (and cheaper!)

And is peanut butter ok for dogs?

If your dog is staying at 7kgs she's getting enough :laugh:

I'd give her a sardine in oil occasionally, peanut butter is usually fine as long as it isn't the cheap 'Made in China' brands

Good whole meal bread is OK occasionally but not the white cotton wool stuff.

Cheese of any variety goes down well around here. Not cheese slices though, your dog doesn't need the preservative and aluminum they contain.

Dried liver makes good treats, I'd give the rawhide stuff a miss. Once you have dragged a long, soggy raw hide mess out of your dogs throat you never buy it again. Please, No cooked bones and that includes the dried bones from the pet shop.

No ham, bacon, sausages, corned beef etc as they all contain sulphur dioxide plus other preservatives which are poison to your dog.

Edited by Ashka

Guest Tess32

You could just add some different meaty bones in there other than chicken. Turkey for eg (I cut a turkey wing into three pieces, one each for a 25kg dog plus, so you could get lots out of it for a small dog), lamb ribs and necks, whole raw fish, duck frames.

If you're just doing raw you really should add in offal as otherwise the diet can be deficient. A tiny portion of liver once a week is required, plus you can always add kidney, pancreas, lungs. I now buy a "lamb pluck" portion which comes with liver, lungs and heart attached, they are huge so if you chop that into freezable portions it would last a long time for a small dog.

For meat, I also feed ox tongue and beef heart :laugh:

No ham, bacon, sausages, corned beef etc as they all contain sulphur dioxide plus other preservatives which are poison to your dog.

Thanks for letting me know! I gave my dog a bit of ham when I made sandwiches for my self cause I thought it was meat, hence ok.

You and I have little dogs so have to be extra careful.

A large or even medium sized dog can get away with eating rubbish occasionally as it is a very small amount in comparison to their daily food intake.

Have fun.