My Dog Abby

DeerhoundLover

It has been a long long time. Abby was my first dog when I was a tiny child. We were as close as anything. She was a black and white cocker spaniel - to me of course she was huge. We shared everything. I was an only child so Abby was everything to me.

I stil remember the time Abby found a thing in the back yard, she did not eat it but came trotting up to me with it. I didn't know what it was, I thought it was like a cross between a cake and a biscuit. (Older and more sophisticated than my 3 year old self I know know it was one of those Italian biscuits).

I had just been explained the concept of 'fair shares' by my grandmother the evening before, so I took the biscuit from Abby and divided it into as exact halves as I could manage, I remember being concerned that I couldn't get it perfect. I gave one half to Abby and ate the other myself.

We were both extremely sick. The vet and the doctor both came to the house as of course they used to do in those days. The vet said eating the whole biscuit would have easily been enough to kill Abby. She recovered ok. The doctor said eating the whole biscuit would have certainly killed me. I recovered ok.

Later the police also came to the house. I was interviewed extensively in the kitchen which my grandmother thought was the more suitable place to receive uniformed cops. (the parlour only for plain clothes men LOL!)

My grandmother lectured me about it and said that sharing equally the biscuit had saved both our lives. If either of us had been greedy and kept the whole thing we would be dead. I have never forgotten that.

Later on someone opened our gate and Abby was killed by a car. But although she didn't live long I have kept all my life what I learned from her.

• 3 weeks later...