Itchy Ears And Mites On Tummy

Hi,

My little pup has been diagnosed with mites on her belly which caused an infection. She is on antibiotics for it. She also had blackheads!! Heaps of them-I saw the spots I just didn't think dogs got em :rofl:

She also gets very itchy ears but after a skin scrape the vet didn't find the cause. So are there any supps or alernative things I could give her. I must say after joining this forum only this week, my dogs have been switched to a mainly raw diet with some biscuits every few days. She has capsicum and bits of pumpkin, pear or any other fruit or veg as a snack. I even caught her chewing on a fresh chilli :) I am always amused by the fact she loves her veges. Her and my Amstaff loved their pumpkin flesh and seeds tonight LOL

I was thinking fish oils might help as I find this is the case for my sensitive skin. What form do you give the fishies in? I tried giving her some coconut oil because its another great fat but she ate to much and was vomiting the whole next morning!

If your vet hasn't recommended something like Advocate, then I'd be wondering why not...

Fish oil capsules administered like a tablet (insert by hand down the the throat :confused: ) should help; also after bathing with a dog-specific medicated anti-itch shampoo (I tried several and found Dermaleen to be good value for money) massage Peanut oil into the affected areas. Peanut Oil was recommmended on an Australian vet site as safe for dogs, and it contains Omega 3 + 6 which are beneficial to the structure of the skin.

I found these three things (Advocate, Dermaleen, and the Peanut Oil) cleared up my bitch's problem; good luck with yours.

Advocate protects/controls lots of extra nasties. Demodectic mites, ear mites, heartworm, ticks, fleas... haven't got my packaging handy, but that is what I can remember. It is pretty good value for money, too.

Mostly, the Dermaleen shampoo used every three days with the Peanut Oil massage afterwards helps. The shampoo needs to stay on for at least three minutes; it contains a sulphur compound which breaks down the scaly derm gunk that builds up on the skin. I use a cocoanut oil-based dog shampoo first - my dog is a long-caoted breed - and rinse, then apply the medicated shampoo and lather, making sure I thoroughly but gently scrub all over the dog - just be aware that you should not get it in your dog's eyes. Let the dog stand with the shampoo on for ten minutes before rinsing it off; I use conditioner on the long coat, rinse that off, then massage a minimal quantity of peanut oil into the areas most affected. For instance my girl's back is 53cm long, and I use one tablespoon of oil to cover that area (pour it into the palm of your hand, rub your hands together, and use both oily hands to apply to the dog). Then, using warmer water, rinse the oil off. I finish off with a rinse of 1 cup of apple cider vinegar oil in 2 litres of water poured all over the dog.

It is the constant bathing that helps - it removes the excess skin oil and flakes that are a result of the irritants. That said, you should be able to taper off after a couple of weeks; I no longer do this 'every three days medicated hoo ha' for my bitch, within the month she was much, much better. Now, just two months later, she has grown hair back to completely cover the previously bald areas.

Did you Vet mention the word Mange at all? There are 2 types of mange, 1 easy to control, the ther more difficult.

No mention of mange she said she had demodex mites, which I have been reading about-as a cause of mange. I had only heard of demodex as a possible cause of rosacea in humans. She has no loss of hair, she just had some redness on her tummy which I thought was dermatitis from insect bites because it has cleared up alot now the weather has cooled off a bit. The antibiotics have cleared the infection up alot. Her tummy has no redness at all.

Advocate protects/controls lots of extra nasties. Demodectic mites, ear mites, heartworm, ticks, fleas... haven't got my packaging handy, but that is what I can remember. It is pretty good value for money, too.

Mostly, the Dermaleen shampoo used every three days with the Peanut Oil massage afterwards helps. The shampoo needs to stay on for at least three minutes; it contains a sulphur compound which breaks down the scaly derm gunk that builds up on the skin. I use a cocoanut oil-based dog shampoo first - my dog is a long-caoted breed - and rinse, then apply the medicated shampoo and lather, making sure I thoroughly but gently scrub all over the dog - just be aware that you should not get it in your dog's eyes. Let the dog stand with the shampoo on for ten minutes before rinsing it off; I use conditioner on the long coat, rinse that off, then massage a minimal quantity of peanut oil into the areas most affected. For instance my girl's back is 53cm long, and I use one tablespoon of oil to cover that area (pour it into the palm of your hand, rub your hands together, and use both oily hands to apply to the dog). Then, using warmer water, rinse the oil off. I finish off with a rinse of 1 cup of apple cider vinegar oil in 2 litres of water poured all over the dog.

It is the constant bathing that helps - it removes the excess skin oil and flakes that are a result of the irritants. That said, you should be able to taper off after a couple of weeks; I no longer do this 'every three days medicated hoo ha' for my bitch, within the month she was much, much better. Now, just two months later, she has grown hair back to completely cover the previously bald areas.

Hmm seems like a similar treatment that can work for rosacea!! I have heard that sulfur can be irritating in itself though. I might try the dermaleen if it remains a problem, but at the moment the flakes have cleared. I was putting emu oil on her tummy which is a very good anti-inflammatory but she thought it was tasty and would lick it off LOL. I use it on my own skin and she goes nuts licking it off me too. I am definitely keen on adding some extra essential fats to the diets of all my dogs. Have you heard of using coconut oil to help with skin conditions?

I will also look into advantix, but my dogs all have the yearly heart worm injection (which I am now rethinking due to possible toxicity). My main prob is the cost of advantix because I need to give it to them fortnightly because of the ticks x 3 dogs = $$$ :rolleyes:

At the moment I buy frontline extra large dogs and dose it out myself which is much more cost effective!

ETA: just found some dermaleen on clearance for $5 a bottle--bought the last four :laugh:

Edited by valby