My Dog Stole And Ate Chocolate!

My dog was home all by herself today and when I came home tonight I found chocolate when she had unwrapped and eaten (possibly ate some of the foil too) I think she might have eaten one or two small solid chocolate eggs. I havent seen her exhibit any illness except that she quite thirsty and her bellys bloated with water. I know even a bit of chocolate is dangerous for dogs.

What might happen to my dog and what signs should I look out for??

Hope you didnt have too rough a night worrying about your dog. :D

Small amounts of chocolate are not harmful for dogs. Some chocolate is worse than others (artificially sweetened, dark and cooking chocolate). If your dog had milk choc then it can eat a fair amount before it gets sick (relative of course to the size of your dog, and if it is a pup). The problem often is that dogs are guts and given a chance will eat a whole packet or block of choc - then you have worries. A couple of small choc eggs shouldnt show any symptoms (unless it was artificially sweetened). The symptoms are vomiting, diarrhea and excessive hyperactivity.

If you worry about your dog getting in to your choc, try switching to white choc - it has much less of the bad stuff and is much safer around dogs.

Hope your doggy is ok. I spent a great night with MJ who had gotten into the bin and pulled out and eaten an avocado skin. She was up pooin' and spewin' all night *ew* She's right as rain today, apart from the grass seed she had to have removed from her foot :cool:

small amounts of chocolate shouldn't be too much of a problem. dogs drink lots of water when they feel sick. the water helps to settle their tummy. it's when your dogs stops drinking you need to be worried. dogs will stop drinking when water no longer makes them feel better, then they start to vomit. chocolate can increase their heart rate which will make them thirsty. as always if you are concerned take pup to a vet or call th emergency animal centre in you area.

:eek: