Car Sickness

macdog3

I haven't tried them but they apparently work for people. I used to have a dog that eventually wound up salivating and vomiting even going over to the car. I don't know about your dog but I think it can end up almost a conditioned response. If that is the case with your dog maybe slow and systematic desensiting (get in the car first without driving and reward, back up the driveway and return with reward, to the end of the street etc) might work if you are patient enough. If you reach your wits end you might just be better off travelling with him in a wire crate that can be hosed off, at least it will save your car interior. It can be a real pain, I know, so good luck with whatever solutions you try.

I also have a puppy who gets car sick and because of that does not like to travel in the car. I have to carry him to the car because if allowed to walk, he will run back to the front door.

I haven't tried any biscuits but I now have him sitting in the front seat (on washable towels) and put the vent pointing straight at him. The last 3 times (since having the vent on him) he has not vomitted at all.

The idea about desensitising your puppy to the car is a good one. He needs to be taught that it is a good place and good things happen there. So hang out in the car with him and some special cooked sausages or other favourite food. After he has finished his treat, take him out of the car and back inside. If he really hates the car because of the motion sickness, I would stick to doing this for about 5-7 days and then progress it to starting the car up whilst feeding him. Once he seems to associate the car as a good place to be, start taking him for short drives as well. The ginger may work (I've never tried it) but the dose may need to be trial and error. Start small though.

Good luck, I know it is not nice having a puppy puking in the car.

Guest belgian.blue

When Ivy was still at the breeders she apparently used to mess in the car so for about two weeks she would only ever go in the car in a crate. She screamed the entire first trip, and then very slowly would whinge less and less. Being in the crate she never messed once and soon learnt to enjoy the car. All without food treats.

These days she lays on the back seat trouble free. Normally always sleeping.

I would highly recommend using a crate. They also feel a lot safer when you go around corners etc. It worked a treat for Ivy and I and now she's just wonderful in the car ... though she won't jump in herself yet.