Neurofen Scare

corvus

Just as a general heads up, watch your dogs with human medication! Kivi Tarro got sick last week while I was away from home and OH thought he was vomiting blood. Took him to the vets and left him there overnight, but he seemed okay and they started dosing him with a variety of things that should help what we thought was gastro. I came home last night and found a chewed up packet of Neurofen minus the pills. I called the vet this morning and although he was perky and his tummy had settled and he was acting normal, they wanted him in for a kidney test. The kidney test showed an elevated level of kidney enzyme, so they hospitalised Kivi and have him on a high fluid drip where he will stay until his blood test comes back totally normal.

We were very, very lucky that he didn't eat more than he did (and goodness knows how much that was). We were slow to realise what was happening, so for anyone else who ever sees grainy, very dark vomit/diarrhea and/or excessive drinking, be suspicious! And even if they look like they are getting better, take them in anyway. The vet said she thinks Kivi's kidney damage is reversible with treatment now, but if it got any worse it could result in permanent reduced kidney function.

Just as a general heads up, watch your dogs with human medication! Kivi Tarro got sick last week while I was away from home and OH thought he was vomiting blood. Took him to the vets and left him there overnight, but he seemed okay and they started dosing him with a variety of things that should help what we thought was gastro. I came home last night and found a chewed up packet of Neurofen minus the pills. I called the vet this morning and although he was perky and his tummy had settled and he was acting normal, they wanted him in for a kidney test. The kidney test showed an elevated level of kidney enzyme, so they hospitalised Kivi and have him on a high fluid drip where he will stay until his blood test comes back totally normal.

We were very, very lucky that he didn't eat more than he did (and goodness knows how much that was). We were slow to realise what was happening, so for anyone else who ever sees grainy, very dark vomit/diarrhea and/or excessive drinking, be suspicious! And even if they look like they are getting better, take them in anyway. The vet said she thinks Kivi's kidney damage is reversible with treatment now, but if it got any worse it could result in permanent reduced kidney function.

i SWEAR, DOGS CAN GET INTO EVERYTHING. oUR HONEY, GOLDEN MI, WIL EAT ANY AND EVERYTHING. sH FOUND A FLASH LIGHT BATTERY AND WAS CHEWING ON IT AND THAT REALLY SCARED ME. ALSO SHE GOT A BAR OF D-CON RAT POISON. WE WERE SO UCKY WITH HER ON THAT. hUBBY AND i WERE TAKING SOME OF OUR BOYS OLD TOYS OUT OF THE ATTIC FOR OUR GRANDKIDS AND ACCIDENTLY KNOCKED THE D-CON OUT. WITH 3 DOGS, A CAT AND 3 GRANDKIDS, NOTHING POISON WAS IN THE HOUSE ITSELF, JUST THE ATTIC.

i SAW HONEY THROW UP AND SAW THE GREEN CHUNKS AND KNEW WHAT IT WAS. WE RUSHED HER RIGHT TO OUR VET WHICH IS ONLY 1 MILE FROM HERE. sHE WAS GIVEN AN INJECTION OF VITAMIN k AND THEN FORCED TO THROW UP SOE MORE AND THEY HELD HER ALL DAY. SENT HER HOME WITH 50 DAY SUPPLY OF EXPENSIVE VITAMIN K CAPSULES. TOOK HER BACK IN AFTER THE CAPSULS WERE GONE AND THEY DID A TEST TO TEST HER BLOOD CLOTTING FACTOR, AND SHE WAS FINE. BUT WHAT A SCARE THAT WAS.