Ear Mites (no Infection)

Dackel

Hi,

I'm pretty certain that my Dachsie Felix has earmites as I have already removed a small amount of redishbrown debris.

The ear does not smell or is inflamed. He shakes his head and loves when I massage his ear. There is no infection as I treated with AB drops already.

I tried to drown the little buggers with olive oil but because of their life cycle was unsuccessful. Vet appointment?

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

I usually have Felix on Advocate but giving it a break for a while. He is healthy and happy otherwise.

Petra and Felix

post-24358-1232695535_thumb.jpg

I wipe out with 50/50 mix of white vinegar/water, using cotton wool balls. Vinegar provides an environment not congenial to mites. BUT I don't pour the mix into the ear - just wipe. And I repeat frequently (ie each day for a number of days until the 'evidence' disappears.) If it continues, I'd suggest a Vet visit. I tend to find the water/vinegar does help a lot, but if the ear is quite infested something from your Vet might be required.

Edited by Erny

Hello Erny,

Thanks very much for your reply. I'll try the vinegar and water and see if it helps. It does not look infested or inflamed bt I'll make an appointment with the Vet for Tuesday for a wellness check anyway. Thanks again

Petra