Help With Osteosarcoma

tedshead

:) Hi am good friends with trisven and have been reading dogzonline for ages. I need some advice and trisven encouraged me to get some advice from you guys cos I am not sure what to do.

I have a 10 yr old rotti x and I consider quiet healthy, although a little over weight. She started limping about 2 weeks ago and developed a lump on her leg. Took her straight up to the vet and xray showed abnormality in the bone. Most likely osteosarcoma.

Being a bit skeptical we had a bone biopsy today and the vets are saying if it is positive it would be good to amputate as that would give her a little longer quality of life. I just dont know that i want to put her through major surgery only to get another few months.

Has anyone been in this situation, cos I need a little help here.

tedshead

Read the unwell Rotties thread - there are a few Rott owners who have battled this disease.

The first thing I suggest is changing the diet - get rid of all carbs (carbs feed cancer). I know this sounds funny but it is true. If she is on commercial food, wean her off it over a week or so and give her chicken, beef, turkey, roo etc. Yoghurt, cottage cheese, flaxseed oil, Vitamin C is a big help (my lad takes 1000mg a day - just the normal one from the chemist). Look up cancer diets and dogs on google - there is heaps of info out there.

The other thing is see an holistic vet (make sure you have her test results with you) and ask their opinion. They can help heaps with supplements to help keep your girl as healthy as possible.

Sorry but I can't help much with this type of cancer as ours is MCT and nothing like osteosarcoma.

cavNrott is a world of knowledge, you could try to send her a private message...

Be prepared to sit in front of the computer and read, read, read...

Good luck and keep us updated