Teaching Puppy Not To Lie On Other Dog's Bed

Hi,

I have a 4.5 month old toy poodle pup. Since her arrival she has commandeered the older dog's mats and this has deterred the older dog from going there.

How do I teach her which is her mat and by the same token teach her that his mat is off limits?

Any help appreciated.

:laugh:

I have a 4.5 month old toy poodle pup. Since her arrival she has commandeered the older dog's mats and this has deterred the older dog from going there.

How do I teach her which is her mat and by the same token teach her that his mat is off limit

Give her the most special fluffiest best bed you can find!!!!!!! Then Princess may appreciate her own bed. Just an idea. She may just appreciate company being a pup, wanting just to join in with him rather than be on her own. Seriously, I would use a puppy pen and put her and her bed in that. Then she would have no choice.

How do I teach her which is her mat and by the same token teach her that his mat is off limit

Give her the most special fluffiest best bed you can find!!!!!!! Then Princess may appreciate her own bed. Just an idea. She may just appreciate company being a pup, wanting just to join in with him rather than be on her own. Seriously, I would use a puppy pen and put her and her bed in that. Then she would have no choice.

Thanks standardpoodle for your reply.

I did have her in a pen but she is part mountain goat and we gave up on trying to find new ways to keep her in. :o

She has the pinkest, pretiest girly bed I could find on ebay :happydance2: It just seems she thinks everything is hers. And even after all that she doesnt sleep in any of them but on the floor or at my feet :eek:

She is crated overnight but the main problem is when she is with us in the lounge room. I have trained my older dog to take his treats to his mat to eat and since she has put her smell over all of them he doesnt go there anymore.

I was hoping to teach her the same thing but that she would go to her designated mat.

You need to be consistent about showing her that your other dog's mat is not the mat you want her to go to and be consistent about showing her the mat you do want her to go to. Obviously, be consistent about rewarding your pup when she goes to the correct mat.

Because consistency is the key, have you tried crate training her? Crating is not a substitution to your training but it will assist with the consistency side of things. She wouldn't be able to climb out of a crate.

Provided there were no issues between the two dogs, I'm not sure I'd be too concerned about dogs swapping mats - but I presume you have a reason for wanting each dog in a particular spot?

You need to be consistent about showing her that your other dog's mat is not the mat you want her to go to and be consistent about showing her the mat you do want her to go to. Obviously, be consistent about rewarding your pup when she goes to the correct mat.

Because consistency is the key, have you tried crate training her? Crating is not a substitution to your training but it will assist with the consistency side of things. She wouldn't be able to climb out of a crate.

Provided there were no issues between the two dogs, I'm not sure I'd be too concerned about dogs swapping mats - but I presume you have a reason for wanting each dog in a particular spot?

Thanks Erny.

Its more about when I give them bones/treats and want to keep them away from each other. Also I wanted the older dog to have somewhere to lie when we have guests.

I dont know much about crate training but I have taught her to sleep in her crate. I wasnt sure whether it would be confusing for her to sleep and eat in there?

As you say it seems I will just have to be on my toes and watch for her going near his mat.

I dont know much about crate training but I have taught her to sleep in her crate. I wasnt sure whether it would be confusing for her to sleep and eat in there?

Nah ..... A crate is a nice, comfortable, safe place to be and/or rest. So if the crate will help you in this instance, go ahead and use it :rofl:.

Oh - and crate "training" is only about your dog building up a positive association with the crate and being able to cope with being left in the crate for periods at a time without stressing. Chewing a bone whilst in the crate is a good way to achieving that.