Vaccination Question

Ok, my GSD was due for her booster vaccination over a month ago (she is 2). I have been researching vac's and reading on DOL and slowly getting my head around what to do with her regarding vaccinating. I have come to the conclusion that yes there is some validity in not vaccinating yearly.

I guess I came from old school, where we were taught you yearly vaccinate and don't question it. So I guess I am now challenging my previous beliefs, and feel that the right thing to do is not vaccinate, but I'm feeling a bit guilty, or second guessing myself in case I get it wrong and my dog gets some awful disease that I could have prevented :thumbsup:

Anyway to get to the point, I have spoken to my vet and she has put the fear of God into me again about not vaccinating. She will admit though that it may be right that the dog will not require vaccinations yearly to most things except Kennel Cough. Is this the case? If so would I still need to give her a Kennel Cough vac every year?

Kennel cough still needs to be done yearly.

With vaccs there is a general understanding now that pets are over vaccinated, so the best approach is to get your dog vaccinated with the 3yr vac and take the dog in for an annual check up each year between vaccs or titre test every 12mnths.

The titre test checks the level of antibodies in your dogs blood and you only need to vaccinate if the levels fall below a certain number.

My vet refuses to give the 3 year vac. :thumbsup:

I also live in a country town, so will have to travel to another vet, which I don't mind doing, but is it necessary to give a 3 year booster? Maybe I will see if they will Titre test instead.

I don't have the link with me at work, but there was a paper released by the world small animal veterinary association about vaccinations in pets. Basically the WSAVA is promoting the 3yr vac and wanting to move away from 1yr vacs. It might help convince your vet if you can get your hands on it.

Some vets don't know about titre testing or charge like a wounded bull to do it for you.

Thanks for the info Sparky. I have looked it up and found the guideline for Vaccination of Dogs and Cats by the WSAVA. Not sure if this is what you were referring you to, but has some great info. I will present it to the vet and see what she says :laugh:

I need to take Mica into the vet as she has a sore eye so we can discuss it then. I'm sure they think I'm quite mad for questioning them :p

Many vets are religious about annual vaccinations - it is their bread and butter and the way they have been taught. Pharmaceutical companies provide a huge amount of funding for research grants etc and universities generally tend to work with them to keep these funds.

I also know quite a few vets that laugh at the annual booster propaganda and cheerfully admit in private that once a dog has had it's puppy shots and the first annual booster it doesn't need vaccinating again. The operative word here is "private" - they don't usually broadcast this info far and wide.

Many health professionals also fervently believe the vaccination doctrines - I was called a murderess by a nurse for refusing to let my baby son have a DPT shot - it can be a very emotive subject for some health providers, whether for dogs or people.