Young Labrador With Elbow Dysplasia

wantasounddog

According to Dr Wyburn elbow dysplasia in dogs is highly inheritable. You do need to go back to the owners of both sire and dam of this pup and tell them about the problem. Breeders should be kept in the loop about what problems their dogs are producing.

yep, the breeder knows all about the problem. what she does with the info..... ???? She is still showing the full brother and sister (winning too) - future breeding stock i'd say. I think a system needs to be in place to follow the family tree of all dogs affected. Apparantly only 150 chosen vet practices compile the stats in australia.

Er - hang on a minute - this discussion is getting a bit bogged down.

What the breeder chooses to "do" to satisfy Wantasounddog is actually up to the breeder.

As I suggested in an earlier post Wantasounddog needs to state his case and then agree a course of action with the breeder.

Whether or not the breeder is exhibitting litter mates and whether or not they are winning is the breeders business.

So too does the decision whether or not those siblings are ultimately included in a future breeding programme.

Wantasounddog - you suggest that "the breeder knows all about the problem - what she does with the info????".

Well nobody can answer that question other than you and the breeder.

I'll ask again - what have you actually asked the breeder to do to resolve the issues you are experiencing with your young dog?

If you've not asked for anything then you can't expect a resolution can you?

According to Dr Wyburn elbow dysplasia in dogs is highly inheritable. You do need to go back to the owners of both sire and dam of this pup and tell them about the problem. Breeders should be kept in the loop about what problems their dogs are producing.

yep, the breeder knows all about the problem. what she does with the info..... ???? She is still showing the full brother and sister (winning too) - future breeding stock i'd say. I think a system needs to be in place to follow the family tree of all dogs affected. Apparantly only 150 chosen vet practices compile the stats in australia.

What the breeder chooses to "do" to satisfy Wantasounddog is actually up to the breeder.

As I suggested in an earlier post Wantasounddog needs to state his case and then agree a course of action with the breeder.

Whether or not the breeder is exhibitting litter mates and whether or not they are winning is the breeders business.

So too does the decision whether or not those siblings are ultimately included in a future breeding programme.

Wantasounddog - you suggest that "the breeder knows all about the problem - what she does with the info????".

I'll ask again - what have you actually asked the breeder to do to resolve the issues you are experiencing with your young dog?

I have to make a response to this. What happened to a breeders responsibility? Aren't they breeding dogs to supply the pet market as well as servicing their own hobby?

I have to make a response to this. What happened to a breeders responsibility? Aren't they breeding dogs to supply the pet market as well as servicing their own hobby?

It is up to you to contact the breeder and resolve this, no amount of talking on a forum can do it. No where has anyone said that breeders are not responsible, but it is up to you to work something out with your breeder.

It's all sorted. The issue certainly makes interesting conversation.

Glad you have worked it out. Unfortunately it is the dogs with problems that everyone hears about. There are thousands of sound dogs out there that never get a mention because they do not have problems......if only there was as much publicity about the good things that breeders do, and the sound beautiful dogs they breed. Instead everyone focuses on the negative all the time....good luck, I hope things work out well for you in the future.