New Pup Housetraining Questions

JudyG

Hi

We brought home our 8 wk old westie pup, Meg, yesterday and going quite well - she has only toileted either outside or in her confinement area. I have set it up as per Ian Dunbar (Dogstar Daily) with her food, crate and some grass.

A few silly questions - should I praise her when she goes on the grass in her pen, or only when outside? Also I find it easy to get her to wee as it follows a pattern but what about poos - I am hesitant to bring her inside when she has weed in case she poos straight away.

She has been sleeping on the grass in her area - do you think I should discourage that as it is her toilet area too? maybe the bit of grass is too big.

Last night she was pretty good - slept in her crate beside me - woke for a wee at midnight then again at 4.30. Couldn't get her back down after that - any suggestions? After all it was daylight when I took her out - hard to blame her for wanting to play!!

Judy

Hi

We brought home our 8 wk old westie pup, Meg, yesterday and going quite well - she has only toileted either outside or in her confinement area. I have set it up as per Ian Dunbar (Dogstar Daily) with her food, crate and some grass.

A few silly questions - should I praise her when she goes on the grass in her pen, or only when outside? Also I find it easy to get her to wee as it follows a pattern but what about poos - I am hesitant to bring her inside when she has weed in case she poos straight away.

She has been sleeping on the grass in her area - do you think I should discourage that as it is her toilet area too? maybe the bit of grass is too big.

Last night she was pretty good - slept in her crate beside me - woke for a wee at midnight then again at 4.30. Couldn't get her back down after that - any suggestions? After all it was daylight when I took her out - hard to blame her for wanting to play!!

Judy

Hey Judy,

Normally wouldn't offer advice as I'm a noob myself, but felt slack you haven't had any replies ... lol. I'm sure you'll get a lot more knowlegeable answers before too long, so here's what I was thinking.

I had a look at the Ian Dunbar set-up when I got my puppy, but just didn't suit our arrangements, but from my understanding, the fake grass is really only for when your not home to take her outside, in which case (hopefully) you won't see her use it to praise or not praise. When Cory was similar age, I would take him outside every hour for toileting, and only laid out puppy pads for the first few weeks when he was blocked in kitchen/dining when we were out. Now that he's gotten better at toileting, he has access to house through doggy door and haven't had an accident yet (touch wood!) Mind you I still shut all doors that can be shut!

Have no idea about the nightime play sorry!

Pics please ;)

Thanks for the reply MzBex - I am only using the pen with the grass for times when I can't be watching her and also have been taking her out every hour. It is all going well now - I think I have had new mum nerves but getting in a routine now. Only one accident so far because I wasn't sure if she was sniffing for a pee or just sniffing! Sometimes it is hard to tell!! She slept well last night - just up once so I feel good after a better nights sleep!

Here is a picture - she is a wee cutie

post-30829-1257474157_thumb.jpg

aww.. she is a cutie!!!!

no questions are silly!!

you praise here where you want her to go. as for poo... i don't think i can help there. Charlie has never done a number 2 in the house before.. he usually waits till he it outside to do them (he usually goes when we go for a walk too). but, i think if you praise Meg doing her business outside (or wherever you want her to go).. then praise her when she pees and poo.

Just put her back and ignore her protesting about it or give her a toy to play with when you put her back in her crate. OR.. you put her in bed with you :) I did that with Charlie.. and he will come and cuddle with me and we snooze till I'm ready to get up.. ;)

Hi there,

I have to say congratulations on yoru new arrival.. My westie girl has been home for 2 weeks now and settling in very well.. It is very hard for the first few weeks, especially when you cant be there all the time to stop accidents.. But they are just that.. accidents!

I may be wrong in saying this, but i think the grass in the pen is to be praised when used. Afterall grass is grass, and the training is to stop the puppy from weeing or pooing anywhere but a grassy area.. As the puppy gets older the routine for going outside is set and the puppy will let you know when it wants to go out and will only go on the grass as its learnt to do that in the pen also.

And as far as sleep goes.. take the puppy out when it whines, then when you bring it back in, ignore its whines.. this helps the puppy to calm itself down and teaches it that whining is only to be used for a purpose. I know it seems harsh but in the long run is better for you and the dog.

I hope this helps.. And she is Gorgeous by the way!!