Canine Hydrotherapy In Canberra

My 11 month old lab has just been diagnosed with hip dysplasia. I'd like to get him doing some swimming, on the advice of the vet. Are there any swimming pools in Canberra specially for dogs, or hydrotherapy services? Or where else might I take him for a swim a couple of times a week? He can swim, but isn't overly keen on the water, so I'm guessing i'll have to go in with him to get him to actually paddle for a while - as you can imagine i'm not overly keen on swimming in any of Canberra's lakes...

Also, i'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has used acupuncture to treat HD. Did you have any success?

Queanbeyan Country Kennels out on Wickerslack Lane have/had a pool for dogs. It's been years since I've been out there, so you might give them a call to find out the situation, or other DOLers might know more current info.

I swim my dogs at LBG or down at Uriarra Crossing.

• 1 month later...
Queanbeyan Country Kennels out on Wickerslack Lane have/had a pool for dogs. It's been years since I've been out there, so you might give them a call to find out the situation, or other DOLers might know more current info.

Thanks so much for this, I will call them tomorrow. Sorry about the delay - i forgot that I posted the question!

BTW, your Vizslas are beautiful - love the breed :o

Thanks so much for this, I will call them tomorrow. Sorry about the delay - i forgot that I posted the question!

BTW, your Vizslas are beautiful - love the breed :thumbsup:

Hi muffinmclay, we use both here for dogs with really bad HD and its a perfect combination. You need to try and keep muscle tone on and Hydrotherapy is a great way. Acupuncture works well for pain relief. :curtsey:

• 10 months later...
Can I please have the address to the Dog Hydrotherapy pool in Canberra, we need it for our pups rehabilitation

Canberra Pet Care on Wickerslack Lane no longer have a hydro pool. I just rang them today.

I have not heard of anyone else offering Hydrotherapy for dogs in the Canberra area, so if anyone knows of one could they post the details.

Thanks

I think (Diva may have mentioned it) there isn't a pool closer than the Southern Highlands.

By the way LBG has been closed today due to blue green algae issues - again :thumbsup:

Really sorry to hear about your Lab Muffinclav :D

Edited by poodlefan

Nope. No hydrotherapy pool here unfortunately. A year or two I was on the lookout and had no luck. I did manage to get the use of a race horse pool, but that was a private arragnement and was not really ideal - just the best I could do at the time.

It is a big gap in the market in the Canberra region so an ideal location should any enterprising person want to establish a canine hydro centre here. I am positive it would be well utilised!

My dog was diagnosed with severe elbow displaysia and not much better hips. Swimming was suggested as well as anti-inflam/painkillers prescribed. The effect of the tablets wore off, another 2 types of painkillers were diagnosed. His muscles had wasted away from changing the way he walked (taking shorter steps) due to pain, the subtle signs I hadnt noticed until his lameness because obvious.....I've since learnt so much.

It was recommended to me by a friend to try acupuncture. I tried a vet who did the needle type, I didnt notice a difference. The vet said to try steroid injections into the joint and leave him at the surgery overnight, my heart was breaking, euthanasia was next....he was 7 (a rotti obviously). I was then told about an animal chiropractor....this man adjusted him from head to tail a number of times and after each treatment used a magnetic therapy machine/mat and laser acupuncture. He explained that acupuncture gets the blood flowing through the muscles and helps with inflamation but it wont work until nerves are released when the dog is out of alignment which causes pinched nerves and causes muscle spasm to protect the nerves when the dog stretches out to walk hence causing lameness from pain. Makes sense.... after being adjusted and treated this way...(I didnt swim my boy until I had had him in alignment for a good period of time - no point swimming with pinched nerves you will only be toning muscle to hold him/her out of alignment), I weaned my fella off medication. He just turned 10, walks like a puppy and is on no medication/supplements.

Now there is no doubt at all that my boy has elbow displaysia, hip displaysia and bad bones/joints BUT that was not what was causing him to feel pain and go lame...it was from being out of alignment. I cannot promote strongly enough using acupuncture AFTER having your dog seen to chiropractically, amazing results!