Non-sportive Breed

Guest Kate_Summer

Guest Kate_Summer
My Dane boy is a right pain in the arse if he doesn't get his daily walk!! He'll pace around and stare at me until we go usually (he's trained me so well!!) and it does get very annoying.

I take him out for about 30-40mins a day, mostly on lead, and a combination of walking and jogging. Once a week or so I let him go to the off lead park and have some 'free time'. On the hotter days, I take him swimming with me in the pool at work both during my lunch break and in the afternoon. That knackers him out for the whole evening generally!!

Definitely more sporty than not!

That means I might have to cross them out, such a shame I know no-one with Great Dane just to get my 'dose' of them :thumbsup:

That means I might have to cross them out, such a shame I know no-one with Great Dane just to get my 'dose' of them

Don't rule out a breed just because one dog sounds more active than you'd like. At least start talking to some breeders and find out if there are some that are less active than others. Breeders can usually tell you which of the litter is laid back and easy going, or more active and more likely to be a handful. They may even have an ex-show dog they are looking to rehome that they KNOW is not active and will suit your lifestyle.

I have a breed that is traditionally very active, but my boy....yes he loves a walk and a run by the bike......chases a frisbee twice then lays down under a shady tree. My girl is happy to not walk anywhere if we can drive, thank you very much. They love being with me, and probably should get more exercise than they currently do (but it's too bloody hot), but they are no worse for it. They aren't destructive, don't dig, don't chew things and are warning barkers but not nuisance barkers.

However, they are family dogs and with us when we're home and to them, that's the most fun of all.

Guest Kate_Summer
That means I might have to cross them out, such a shame I know no-one with Great Dane just to get my 'dose' of them

Don't rule out a breed just because one dog sounds more active than you'd like. At least start talking to some breeders and find out if there are some that are less active than others. Breeders can usually tell you which of the litter is laid back and easy going, or more active and more likely to be a handful. They may even have an ex-show dog they are looking to rehome that they KNOW is not active and will suit your lifestyle.

I have a breed that is traditionally very active, but my boy....yes he loves a walk and a run by the bike......chases a frisbee twice then lays down under a shady tree. My girl is happy to not walk anywhere if we can drive, thank you very much. They love being with me, and probably should get more exercise than they currently do (but it's too bloody hot), but they are no worse for it. They aren't destructive, don't dig, don't chew things and are warning barkers but not nuisance barkers.

However, they are family dogs and with us when we're home and to them, that's the most fun of all.

That's great, thanks for the infos :laugh:

Sorry Kate, I wasn't trying to talk you out of it, just giving you an idea of what my boy is like. I probably gave you the wrong idea - he could spend 12 hours a day sleeping, but was just trying to say that although Dane's are known for being couch potatoes, I still think that given the chance, they have the ability to want to also be active dogs if given the chance.

I live with a Border Collie and a young Kelpie who have 90839458930845 times the energy of Orbit, particularly the Kelpie who spends the day destroying anything she can because she doesn't get the exercise needed. Orbit isn't destructive (except with his toys) and is quite happy with the 30-40mins of proper exercise most days. Outside of this time, he's sleeping :laugh:

Kate where in Qld are you? Perhaps attend some of the DOL doggy meets to rub shoulders with different breeds and talk to their owners to see what suits.

Guest Kate_Summer
Kate where in Qld are you? Perhaps attend some of the DOL doggy meets to rub shoulders with different breeds and talk to their owners to see what suits.

From what I read most if not all meet happen in Brisbane I'm closer to NSW border & hate driving outside the area where I live, I'd most likely not do it. I might keep an eye out on show when there are some close by & have a peek.

From what I have read about Greyhound, they would suit perfectly, just need to wait when the time is right, few more years & I'll most likely adopt one :laugh:

From what I understand (regarding greyhounds, whippets and Italian greyhounds - same shape, different sizes), activity levels increase as size decreases, but Iggies are lovely little dogs nonetheless :o I don't think they are live-wires or anything.

If you have some mobility/pain issues, I think greys (or another suitable large breed) would be the way to go. They are tall without being too heavy... the larger size means you don't have to bend down far to pat them and you're less likely to trip over them accidentally. Plus ex-racers generally have beautiful manners on lead, and don't pull like trains... not that Iggies would either I suppose :laugh:

You can probably tell, I am VERY biased towards greys! :rofl:

Edited by Longclaw

Guest Kate_Summer
From what I understand (regarding greyhounds, whippets and Italian greyhounds - same shape, different sizes), activity levels increase as size decreases, but Iggies are lovely little dogs nonetheless :o I don't think they are live-wires or anything.

If you have some mobility/pain issues, I think greys (or another suitable large breed) would be the way to go. They are tall without being too heavy... the larger size means you don't have to bend down far to pat them and you're less likely to trip over them accidentally. Plus ex-racers generally have beautiful manners on lead, and don't pull like trains... not that Iggies would either I suppose :laugh:

You can probably tell, I am VERY biased towards greys! :dancingelephant:

I think the large size sounds great :rofl:

When you let them in the enclose yard eg. while hanging clothes, do you need to worry about anything? Our yard is fully fence (6ft fences). Like if they see something through the fence, will they still try to get to it?

Edited by Kate_Summer

No, as long as the yard is securely fenced there should be no problems. I have farm fencing (4 foot something), we've been here nearly two years and our greys have never considered jumping over the fence... in spite of rabbits, roos, alpacas, horses, cattle... just on the other side. Even a greyhound with high prey drive would be safely contained within 6 foot fences, so long as there's no gaps or broken palings or anything :laugh:

Letting them loose in an unfenced area is just asking for trouble though. If they run, you will not catch them, and they could be under a car before you even have a chance to yell at them to come back. If off-lead walks really appeal, greys aren't the dog for you. I find ON lead walks are really good for bonding though :o

They do enjoy a full-stretch run every now and then, but there are places you can let them do this safely - dog club paddocks are a good one, and some dog racing parks will allow you to use their grounds for a small fee when they are not otherwise in use.

eta: Nissa Greyhound has just come back inside - she's been pottering around on her own outside for around half an hour. No doubt eating roo poo. As long as the yard is securely fenced it is beneficial for them to spend SOME 'alone time' outside, so they don't become too dependent on your company and freak out when you have to leave them for some reason.

Edited by Longclaw

We have Sharpei and like all breeds some are more active than other specific individuals. Our two sleep nearly 23 hours a day, even when they were younger. A quick 20 mins walk or a trip to the beach every couple of days is all thats needed and very wash and wear ie hardly any grooming. We are quite often down your way if you would like to meet up near the beach one day and have a talk about them. Quite a few Sharpei seem to end up at rescue as well, even though there is nothing wrong with them except they have grown out of their cute puppy wrinkles.

Guest Kate_Summer
If off-lead walks really appeal, greys aren't the dog for you. I find ON lead walks are really good for bonding though :laugh:

Offleash isn't something I would be doing :o