Stray Dogs

mongo1

Just wondering what other DOLer's do when they come across stray dogs? The reason I ask is yesterday I was driving and saw a dog walking along the street, I stoped and tried to call him over but he was cautious of me so I didn't push it, I don't live in the area and it was after five so I couldn't have called the ranger, what are my options in a situation when I can't catch the dog and he's not runing on the the road?

In the past I had seen two dogs on the highway and I was able to call the police to get help because it was a major roadway but what about in other cases?

I call the council at night and it will either go through to an after hours number or at least have an after hours number on their answering machine (and it actually says on it that they don't mind you calling it for stray dogs - I figure the person is being paid good money to be on call so I use it). They generally take the details and then call the ranger and give him the details.

Or if I can catch the dog I do that then either take it to the RSPCA pens or take it home for the night.

Call the council - best someone picks it up rather than left to wander and perhaps be injured. Talked the the council about some nasty dogs and also asked them about after hours and they said to call the number anyway as it goes through to an after hours number and someone is contacted til quite late so early evening a ranger should be around.

Today is Saturay and the dog patrol was out driving around 830 this morning (well I saw him taking photos of cars parked the opposite direction to traffic on a roadside so guess the dog guy does general fines too) so they are around after hours.