Salivating When In Car?

pmiller

Hi guys!

My second Cav who we picked up 3 weeks has a few issues with car travel. She is 14 months. When bringing her home from the breeders she threw up in the back seat (about a 45 minute drive). Since then, we've had her in the car a few times, probably at most for a 20 minute trip and she hasn't thrown up, but she does seem to salivate a lot (there is a we spot always under her head). This morning heading out to dog obedience she threw up after only being on the road for two minutes (no food, just seemed to be liquid). Once again, she was salivating a lot, at one point I looked back and it was even sort of dripping.

I was told that she was ok with cars (and she doesn't exhibit and signs of being scared of the car whatsoever). She may have been crated though in the past (she was a showdog at one point) but she is just on the back seat in my car, since there is not a lot of room for her crate.

So my questions:

Why does she salivate so much in the car when she doesn't elsewhere?

Any advice on how to get her a bit happier in the car?

Thanks!

It's a sign of car sickness. I had a Staffy x who would drool and yawn like mad but didn't vomit very often.

I'm not an expert but from what I understand, if your pup doesn't grow out of car sickness as it gets older, you probably have a dog who will be car sick for it's life but it can also be caused by stress and anxiety (like if they've had bad experiences in the car) and you can work with them to help them overcome these feelings.

My tips are (for plain old car sickness) - lots of air flow (windows open), no food before travel. Breaks if a long journey.

Apparently there is a new non-sedating drug out which can be given to help, but I don't know much about it. Some people also say that feeding a few ginger biscuits can help but I would get vet ok on this first.

Edited by 16Paws

I would start some sort of traveling training. Put her in the car for a couple of minutes without actually going anywhere, then let her out. Play with her while she's in the car and feed her some treats if you can. When she seems comfortable just hanging out in there, turn the engine on and do the same process. Once she's settled with the engine, drive in and out of your driveway with her. Gradually extend the journeys increasing the distance a little more each time.

I would do a session every day and not progress onto the next level until she is completely comfortable.

Some dogs get sick if they are put in a car harness but never in a crate or loose in the back of a station wagon. Also if she is used to being in a crate it is like removing her security blanket to put her in a car without it. She may have been used to being able to see out the windows, depending on where her crate normally travelled, so being stuck down on the seat could also cause car sickness. Finally if her owners had an auto car and yours is manual that can make a difference.

As a human that has always suffered car sickness, I know that the position in the vehicle and the auto/manual thing is a real problem. I generally drive everywhere because I am not affected as the driver but if I have to be a passenger it must be in the front seat and never in a manual vehicle.