Food Advice Please...

Mynewbestfriend

Thanks for the advice. I have already taken him to the vet for his shots & they wormed him then. They said that he was very underweight (2 kilos) and that he most likely had a belly full of worms as his belly was really distended. He was also very lethargic when we got him, but since worming he has picked up heaps & is a very bouncy happy boy now. I just want to start him off on the right food but don't want to chop & change too much & upset his little tummy.

Well, you could start switching him to a better quality kibble by mixing it in. Advance is another one a lot of folk like - they do a puppy.

You won't find any of these in the supermarket. You'll need to go to a Petbarn or similar.

If the runs continue though, get a fecal sample checked. A pup with the runs is not digesting properly and may miss out on important nutrients. :(

Edited by poodlefan

I have a new cavoodle pup (8 weeks) and his poos are sooo disgustingly runny! He is on Supercoat Puppy - which is what I was told he was on before we got him. I have also been giving him some of the tinned puppy food (Nature's Gift & Pedigree Puppy) which seem to be making the situation even worse. He was going really well with house training but now he's crapping all over the place. I am happy to put him on a premium dog food, but there are so many different choices that I'm not sure which is the best??? Any advice would be great.

Hi, sounds very similar to the problems we were having with our Basset pup. If you read my earlier post on this thread, soft serve everywhere all over the garden making it very difficult to clean. However this weekend has brought some fantastic progress!

He's now getting a full cup of puppy Proplan of a morning and in the evening another full cup of Proplan with about 200gms of the Ecopet roll (I know there's mixed opinions about Ecopet as it's not raw but it's one of the better rolls) and we have seen instant results with our pup. The end result is MUCH firmer and pick-upable and best of all, he thinks its delicious. We tried puppy & pet mince, chicken necks (with disasterous results) & Supercoat. This diet was recommended by the lady who bred him and it definitely did NOT agree. Trial and error as I've since learned and good luck! Remember, do whatever works for you guys at the end of the day, particularly as you're the one who deals with clean up. I'd say the canned food is probably going straight though him!

Hi there guys & thanks for all the advice - yes my probs were very similar to yours mynewbestfriend.

I have started him on Pro-Plan puppy & his poos are much better. He wasn't fussed about the food for a day or so, but I just persevered & now he trots over & eats it happily.

I also gave him a lamb brisket bone to chew on today - are they ok for pups?

Hi there guys & thanks for all the advice - yes my probs were very similar to yours mynewbestfriend.

I have started him on Pro-Plan puppy & his poos are much better. He wasn't fussed about the food for a day or so, but I just persevered & now he trots over & eats it happily.

Brisket Bones are great - my vet highly recommends them. Hope he continues to improve

Glad things are sorting themselves out.. :)

Our little man is still a bit hit and miss despite coming off chicken necks....I'm thinking I might move him over to Royal Canine in place of the Proplan ... I made a huge mistake of buying a giant bag of the Proplan before fully establishing that he'd be alright on it (talk about live and learn!) and I've not kept the receipt...so now, oh well -- we'll have to live with that one... :o