Septic Arthritis

Sardog

I have never heard of it, so I googled it. Lots of info, have a look.

Only checked for people but it said prognosis & outcome are good if diagnosed early & treated with antibiotics.

Hopefully this is the case for your dog.

Thanks Christina,

Yes I googled all information and just wanted a "boost" of information from anyone who has actually had a long lasting positive result.

The arthritis is in the elbow, an elbow that had arthro surgery at a very young age.

I am hoping and praying that all the required medications (as also indicated on web sites) are being administered and I know that the infections take a long time to heal but I was wanting to know of positve outcome.

Julie

Thanks Christina,

Yes I googled all information and just wanted a "boost" of information from anyone who has actually had a long lasting positive result.

The arthritis is in the elbow, an elbow that had arthro surgery at a very young age.

I am hoping and praying that all the required medications (as also indicated on web sites) are being administered and I know that the infections take a long time to heal but I was wanting to know of positve outcome.

Julie

Hi Julie,

My boy recently had some appear (although I'm a little iffy on the conclusion of the tests) in his hock. The vets initially assumed it was a crutiate tear, but then claimed there was some fluid around the hock which I didn't see before or after. Was completely lame on it for a week. With some body work and doses of colloidal silver he has come good and only slight soreness with long period of heavy exercise - less and less each time though.

Tim

Thanks Christina,

Julie

Hi Julie,

My boy recently had some appear (although I'm a little iffy on the conclusion of the tests) in his hock. The vets initially assumed it was a crutiate tear, but then claimed there was some fluid around the hock which I didn't see before or after. Was completely lame on it for a week. With some body work and doses of colloidal silver he has come good and only slight soreness with long period of heavy exercise - less and less each time though.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Gee, the first sight of River was horrendous, it just happened overnight. Went to bed on 4 legs and greeted me on three, the elbow joint VERy swollen and he was in awful pain. I got him to the vet first thing and they x-rayed but could not diagnose anything obvious.

I was given pain killers for him and sent home. He had a very stressful night, even with the pain killers and on my call to the vet first thing the next morning was requested to bring him straight in. Another vet at the practice viewed his x-rays and recalled having seen the exact symptoms in a Referral Practice in London (he's from the UK) and they decided to do a needle biopsy followed by a needle flush. He was on instravenous medication and in hospital for 2 days. The biopsy showed a bacterial infection but until we knew what it was, they put him on 2 types of broadspectrum antibiotic, anti inflammatory tablets and pain killers. Luckily when the culture test came back one of the antibiotics we were giving him was the correct one.

He could not put any weight on the leg at all for 5 days but now he is putting weight on it at a walk but still carries it at a faster speed.

He is really well in himself (finally) - "you know how driven he is" :laugh: and to see him like this is so stressful and have to consider his future as a sar dog. The prognosis I have been given is not that good and I was wondering if there were any other dog owners out there who have had complete success with this condition. Apparently it keeps coming back if it is not cleared up in the first stages.

I think maybe another biopsy and joint flush may be on the cards if he doesn't improve in the next few days.

That's the story thus far.

Cheers and thanks for your input, we learn something new every day :) We will have to catch up with you soon too. :laugh:

Julie

:laugh: I am really sorry to hear this and when I read your OP I was hoping this was not River you were talking about, not that I'd wish the condition on any other dog. I have nothing to contribute as your mention of it is the first I'd heard of it, so absolutely no knowledge nor experience of it to be able to assist you with.

I do hope that River is one of those dogs where the treatment was early enough that it will not re-occur :) .