Can You Sew? If So I Need Your Talents And Help Please!

Hi All You Talented Sewing Type Peoples :mad

I am hoping someone here could possible make a dog coat/jacket for a specific purpose. I will of course pay for this creation.

So the purpose and background story is that my boy Benson has allergies and I need to put an oil through his coat and onto his skin but it does not immediately soak in, thus I need a coat made from a plastic type material that will protect my furniture from the oil while it's on him, essentially a raincoat with the reverse purpose.

Someone suggested a plastic bag to me and I could do this but I was thinking if I had a proper jacket it wouldn't move around as much hence not further irritate his skin.

The oil is going to rubbed into his back and rump - not the stomach, should you need to know this?!?! ;)

Thank you in advance from a person incapable of sewing to save her life :)

FTPO

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All You Talented Sewing Type Peoples :mad

I am hoping someone here could possible make a dog coat/jacket for a specific purpose. I will of course pay for this creation.

So the purpose and background story is that my boy Benson has allergies and I need to put an oil through his coat and onto his skin but it does not immediately soak in, thus I need a coat made from a plastic type material that will protect my furniture from the oil while it's on him, essentially a raincoat with the reverse purpose.

Someone suggested a plastic bag to me and I could do this but I was thinking if I had a proper jacket it wouldn't move around as much hence not further irritate his skin.

The oil is going to rubbed into his back and rump - not the stomach, should you need to know this?!?! ;)

Thank you in advance from a person incapable of sewing to save her life :)

FTPO

Hi,

I am in the process of making my Great Dane girl a coat and should have it finished in the next day or so.. I will post a pic when its complete to see if you like my handy work...

Awesome can't wait to see it Gilypoo! :) Mind you it really doesn't matter 'looks' wise for my boy as it won't be a fashion statement :mad:rofl:

He still has to look spunky... hehe ;)

What sort of dog is Benson? :rofl:

edited cause I just saw you signature :rofl:

Edited by Gilypoo

What time of day or night will Benson be wearing the oil? I'm assuming night time so he doesn't get too hot during the day?

Is he inside at night or outside? Is he used to wearing a coat laready? (Just that some dogs will rip it off ASAP!)

Just wondering all this to see what sort of fabric might be useful to you......

What time of day or night will Benson be wearing the oil? I'm assuming night time so he doesn't get too hot during the day?

Is he inside at night or outside? Is he used to wearing a coat laready? (Just that some dogs will rip it off ASAP!)

Just wondering all this to see what sort of fabric might be useful to you......

He has never worn a jacket, thus I know it will be somewhat of a challenge :) but he will only wear it during the evening and night while I am at home. My boys sleep inside every night.

I was wondering if you'd considered kids clothes? Possibly a "spicer" raincoat thingy, from the op shop would do the trick. Or would he be too big for kids stuff? (maybe mens clothes with a bit of a trim on the sleeves......

Our Bulldog fits the kids clothes, their old footy jumpers look a treat on him! :)

post-28996-1271738361_thumb.jpg

OMG! Who did that to his tail? :rofl::mad

He NEEDS a jacket! ;)

OK, thinking cap on for fabrics .... I'm thinking lined on the inside with a natural cotton fabric and the ouside ......

:rofl: I told him it's the latest trend and all the cool hounds around town are sport this look! :rofl::rofl:

No seriously he had bad mats and I couldn't bear to get him shaved as I believe it hurt him the time before so I got OBG to help me find a breeder/show person who kindly git rid of all the problems for us! :)

I was kind of thinking maybe something along the lines of tent material/canvas - what do you all think?

I was wondering if you'd considered kids clothes? Possibly a "spicer" raincoat thingy, from the op shop would do the trick. Or would he be too big for kids stuff? (maybe mens clothes with a bit of a trim on the sleeves......

Our Bulldog fits the kids clothes, their old footy jumpers look a treat on him! :)

Just gorgeous! Great idea too! :mad

Jersey cotton on the inside would be good as it has some stretch and also absorbency.

The outside ..... ?????

If I am to make it... (Depending on how Bellas turns out and if FTPO wants me to) I was thinking of something a long the same lines as the material used for rain jackets then a thin polar fleece on the outside, so that when he gets better the coat can still be used if he likes it...(my coats are fully reversable) If you use a heavier material on the outside some thing like parachuting material might be suitable for the inside . It has a semi resistance to water/ oil and if it does soak it up it wont be able to get thru the thicker outer material... :)

OMG that is just too cute! :mad

Hey GR - it kind of can't be absorbent as we want the oil to get into him and not rub off at all if possible! Confusing I know ;)

FTPO I'm in the planning stages of one for Orbit actually. I have a fair idea of the style I'm going to make but haven't chosen a fabric yet. I will be venturing to Spotlight this weekend to hopefully buy something and get sewing.

Mostly it's just going to cover the torso - he has pyjamas which help, but the legs are just too complicated and he gets out of them too easily. So basically I want it to cover his neck, down his body and also under his belly and be light enough to be able to wear in summer too.

Depending how we go, I put some sort of short hind legs on it, but that will depend on how good I am with the sewing machine!!

Will keep you updated with how I go!

eta: ok so I just realised yours is to keep the oil in, where as mine is just for general coverage purposes to avoid contact with airborne allergens, grasses etc. Overall though, it may fit the same purpose depending on what material I choose.

Have a look at the Chilly Dog coats - I have a sweater coat which you could really only use in cooler weather, but it wouldnt absorb the oil. I use it on Orbit after a bath and have put it on after applying the alpha kerri oil too.

Edited by stormie

What about a mens singlet with a dog coat over the top, if the oil soaks into the singlet, and the skin, you could just wash it and put on another singlet , whilst the outer jacket stays cleanish... ?? !! Tricky, you've got me thinking........

I recommend an absorbent type cotton to absorb only the excess oil. That way, the oil is still against his coat and he can absord more from the cotton as required (does that make sense :) )

If you use something that isn't absorbent, you will end up with a greasy kind of coat when it does come off him and I guarantee you will end up with oil on the floor if not the furniture.

Have you got lots of old throw covers to put on the furniture? I use cotton quilts because they are comfy for humans but easily washed regularly.

I guess you also need to keep in mind the humidity in Brissie, otherwise I'd suggest wrapping him in Gladwrap! :mad