Milky Discharge

Hi,

I have a 14 month old Great Dane Girl who was speyed at 7months of age.

Approximatley in the last 3 months we have noticed a small amount of milky discharge coming from her girl parts. It is a little creamier then milk and the same color as watered down choc milk. She has on occasion had a mass amount come out so it looks like she has wet her bed but generally it is more of constent wetness on her parts and down her legs.

I have had a pee test done and it came back clear. No blood, no bacteria, good consentration which indicates her kidneys are working fine.

The vet recommened that I give her Proplain which helps with urine incontenance. After reading the side effects I decided not to give it to her. They are: Dizziness, high blood pressure and temprement changes. I will NOT give my dog any medication that will alter her temprement in a negative way.

He then said that we can try an alternate medication (didnt get the name)

She is plain and simple too big to be able control if she got snappy and could do serious damage.

Something just isnt sitting right with me.. My vet is fantastic and hasnt given me any reason not to trust his judgement but im unsure.

I know incontenince can be an issue with speyed dogs at any age, but I am still unsure.

So my question is what do I do??

I know that is a generalised question but should I trust the vet and go with the new medication?

Try the Propalin and see how Bella goes?

Get a second opinion? If so from where?

Would really appreciate your help

Gily

Gily has the vet actually seen the discharge for themselves?

I'd get the urine cultured - you can't really say there's no bacteria in the urine unless its cultured to see if anything grows.

Have they given her a simple course of AB's to see if that clears it up?

I don't want to pay out on your vet at all because from what you've said they sound great, but I think if it were me, I'd probably want more done to make sure its not something like a stump pyo going on and rule out other things before just starting on incontinence meds...

Edited by stormie

Not my usaul vet. We went in on Saturday for her annual check up and were seen by a "relief" vet. She covers annual leave and sick leave etc..

When I called for the test results I spoke to my normal Vet and he seemed to agree with relief vet. I obviousley dont know what was written in Bellas notes. She did wipe her over with a tissue to look at the color and had a look at her legs to make sure that no skin irritation was happening (it isnt yet)

I'd get the urine cultured - you can't really say there's no bacteria in the urine unless its cultured to see if anything grows.

Have they given her a simple course of AB's to see if that clears it up?

I don't want to pay out on your vet at all because from what you've said they sound great, but I think if it were me, I'd probably want more done to make sure its not something like a stump pyo going on and rule out other things before just starting on incontinence meds...

Im feeling that way to but I feel kinda weird asking.. what do I say???