White & Swiss Shepherds

luvinshep

The only difference is where they are from and who they are registered with. It's complicated.

ETA - I really should explain.....

German Shepherd (colour white) - an ANKC registered GSD from two registered parents who are coloured. Must be placed on the Limited registry. Are very few and far between.

White Swiss Shepherd - an ANKC registered dog from FCI lines. This breed 'evolved' from American-Canadian White Shepherds which are actually just GSDs which are white. Only known as Swiss as this was the first FCI country to recognised the dogs as a separate breed.

White Shepherds (USA only) - UKC registered dogs, can be dually registered as AKC German Shepherds and a couple have been triple registered as FCI WSS as well.

White Shepherds in Australia - there are the ANKC ones, plus the ones from Oz lines which the ANKC don't register but are registered with two different breed clubs - as White Swiss Shepherds - this club has been breeding separately for about 10 years, the second organisation called them White GSDs and has been around for about 4.

Edited by Fanuilos

Are they from German Shepherd lines...if the parents are not white can they have a white shepherd.....i suppose it would depend on what colours mum n dad are.....i am very interested.....i have had shepherds for 30 years....i luv them....some people i know have a white shepherd & she said it is not a swiss shepherd :mad

Luvinshep - sorry about that, I was editing my post as I realised it was quite rude not to explain :)

You can get a white shepherd out of two coloured shepherds as long as both carrier the white gene. It's a recessive colour in shepherds, like black and Long coats. Most white shepherds in Oz now come from two white parents. Some people who own the Oz dogs will call them White Shepherds rather than add the German or Swiss as this avoids confusion and telling people the crazy history and politics. My OH and I breed Oz lined White Shepherds but we also co-own two ANKC registered White Swiss Shepherd, which were imported from Sweden.

We are very careful to explain the difference to people. Our WSS aren't old enough to breed yet but we are closing down our Oz breeding program at the moment. :mad Such as shame though as we have some lovely examples of the breed which could contribute nicely here and OS.

Maybe one day, they'll all be called the same thing and all registered as WSS by the ANKC.

They all can be traced back to GSDs and genetically they are GSDs.

Edited by Fanuilos

Thank you Fanuilos that does make it clearer.....they are a lovely dog to look at a little longer than your usual shepherd.....nice temprements....now i will know what i am talking about if someone asks.....thank you again.....goodluck with your dogs....I wouldnt have anything else but a Shepherd :mad

I am sorry your are stopping your breeding program for the moment.....but I hope you will start it up once your puppys get older......it would be nice to see some changes in the German Shepherd lines......I am not a breeder but I am very interested in the way the GSDs are bred.....I am not too happy with that at the monent.....I do not like the sleek lines they have...banana benders :mad I like the old style square back.....I know breeders are not keen on them but i only do obedience with my Shepherds.....they do very well.....good luck with your White Shepherds I hope your breeding does well......give the GSDs are run for their money :) Also I do hope they are successful in the Show Ring.....

We are stopping our breeding program to go exclusively ANKC and WSS, so we'll still be breeding in the future. Probably mid next year.

The 'kids' are doing incredibly well in the show ring thanks to the co-owner and her partner. Both have already achieved enough points to be Aus Champs but can't get their titles yet as they aren't 1 year old.

This is Thor and his sister Inga. I think we need to update Inga's photos as these are from when she was about 3-4 months old, they are 1 year old next month.

They look beautiful.....Well again I would like to wish you all the best.....thank you for the information I do like to know what I am talking about if someone asks & you have given me some facts that I can share with all my dog friends......I am just off now to take my dogs out for their last minute wee's :mad so I don't have to get up during the night.....my big Shepherds sleep inside....too cold outside.....bye for now Fanuilos.....thanks again...

Guest Doglady0419
Could someone tell me please what the difference is between a Swiss Shepherd & a White German Shepherd.....Thanks in advance.

http://www.ankc.org.au then search for the breed.

Check this link out....you'll find they have their differences against the GSD Breed Standard.