Training A Dog To Behave In The Car?

goldee

I am having a bit of trouble with my 16 week old pup when i take her in the car. When we walk up the car she pulls on her lead and tries to run backwards or get out of her harness. I usually have to pick her up and put her in. I have a dog seat belt restraint that clips into the seat belt clip and clips into her harness but its a bit too long. So she manages to crawl forward a bit so she is sitting in between the front seats and paws near the handbrake!. She is still clipped in. We tried to tie a knot in it to make it shorter (its already at the shortest length) but she just pulled and pulled and it came out of the seatbelt clip.

On the way home once she just sat there in the middle of the backseat, still as anything, panting but looking like she's about to fall over. I dont know if she ate something bad or if she was feeling sick from the motion. She slept the rest of the day from 1pm.

What are some good ways to make her going in the car a positive thing? Where she will eventually just hop in by herself to the back seat? When we have gone in the car (couple of times a week) its either to puppy school or friends houses. So nothing negative.

If its just me and her, she just wants to sit on my lap. If someone else is driving she'll sit on my lap or next to me and fall asleep.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by goldee

1. Buy a crate and put her in it.

2. SLOW DOWN - this sounds like car sickness to me.

3. Take her on lots of very quick trips and work up to longer ones.

4. Take her fun places in the car. She needs to associate the car with good things.

1. Buy a crate and put her in it.

2. SLOW DOWN - this sounds like car sickness to me.

3. Take her on lots of very quick trips and work up to longer ones.

4. Take her fun places in the car. She needs to associate the car with good things.

Thanks i will try number three. She is far too big for a crate and my car is far too small to get a crate in! I wondered if it was car sickness. All the places we have gone to are 'fun places'. I will try to take her on short trips, even around the block!

thanks.

Hi Goldee!

When we take our 2 pups ( 13 and 18 weeks old ) in the car we let them lay on blankets from their beds so they know that they are safe and their favourite toy and treat them when they are quiet and still and they got the idea pretty quickly! We live very close to a park but I also drove them there so they associate the car with a reward at the end ( the park and a ball!) I also found not talking to them helped because they would get realy excited and want to jump around or try to get to me! The radio helps too as it drowns out the sound of the big scary car!! Goodluck!!

We give Emmy ginger tablet.. she has car sickness.

Poodlefan gave really good advice :laugh:

Emmy doesn't like the car but she will go in it because she knows we're going somewhere fun. we have the window down, drive about 10ks under the limit and she sits in her booster seat so she can see outside.

We found a bed with sides for our car sick dog to lie in pretty much solved the problem. He just couldn't handle the moving around. The bed was soft and small so he would screw himself in a tight little ball inside it and not move around. A bit of T Touch really helped settle him in there as well. It's good to try to pounce on it early. With him, he learnt to get worried about getting in the car and that just made it worse. Once we got him relaxed in the car he stopped getting car sick. He now sits up and watches out the window most of the way.

How long before a car ride do you need to give the ginger tablet for it to work? My puppy hates the car, I think its because it makes him feel sick (he has thrown up on a few occasions).

Edited to add: I just noticed that Poodlefan said 15 mins for the gingernut biscuits, so I guess that is my answer for the tablets as well!

Edited by Magstar

Excellent, thanks for the replies!

Will find some gingernut biscuit - do you get them from supermarkets? Where do you get the tablets from. Luckily she eats pretty much so thats one good thing!

I bought something that goes in the back seat and hooks up to the front seat head rests so the dog can't jump into the front. i think it might make her panic more. she just wants to get close to me all the time. Once she is, she is quiet as anything! I might try to find some bed or something to stick on the back seat for her to sit in and feel 'safe and secure'.

thanks

How long before a car ride do you need to give the ginger tablet for it to work? My puppy hates the car, I think its because it makes him feel sick (he has thrown up on a few occasions).

Aw she threw up once aswell. I didn't notice until i got home. We just had puppy school and all the treats she had were on the car floor. Gross - but i did notice that they were still full size so it shows she doesn't chew her food!

Edited by goldee

mmm yum gingernnut cookies....

Anyway, back on topic :D

Do you want her to be on the backseat forever? I found changing positions with my pup was very helpful.

She initially went in a travel crate which was terrible and then was suggested to put her in the footwell of the passenger seat.

This really seemed to help, i don't know if they feel more secure down there and more stable?

Anyway, now she can go on the backseat without any problem, when we occaisonally have a verylarge person the the front :rolleyes: (my car is small too)

Obviously tie her to the seat or put the lead in the door or something to stop her moving around.

And yes, start with very short trips, perhaps give something she can chew on like a rawhide chew or piggy ear.

Poodlefan gave really good advice :rolleyes:

Emmy doesn't like the car but she will go in it because she knows we're going somewhere fun. we have the window down, drive about 10ks under the limit and she sits in her booster seat so she can see outside.

I love the little booster seat you have for Emmy!!! It is soooooo cute! I should get one for G. Where did you buy it?

I find the radio helps to keep G quiet. She unzipped herself out of her crate when I had that in the car. So I tied her lead to the head rests and she laid down on the passenger seat... Usually though I put her in the rear end of the car. I find her too distracting otherwise. I have a 4WD and the rear section is just a bit bigger than her crate. I put her in there with a blanket and a toy, she is fine.

Quite a few puppies get carsick when they are in a car harness. Try the passenger side footwell or use the backseat buddy to stop her getting in the front and try some short trips without the harness. If you must use the harness, put her at one side so she can lean against the side of the car. In the centre she will get thrown around a lot.

Once they get used to the car they can travel anywhere in it with or without a harness. Lots of short trips, preferably every day are the best way to get her over this.

Poodlefan gave really good advice :rofl:

I love the little booster seat you have for Emmy!!! It is soooooo cute! I should get one for G. Where did you buy it?

I find the radio helps to keep G quiet. She unzipped herself out of her crate when I had that in the car. So I tied her lead to the head rests and she laid down on the passenger seat... Usually though I put her in the rear end of the car. I find her too distracting otherwise. I have a 4WD and the rear section is just a bit bigger than her crate. I put her in there with a blanket and a toy, she is fine.

car booster

(click on dog travel section area)

I got the booster chair from these guys although right now, I think they are out of stock because it's not on the website. They do have real fancy booster chairs though (if you are willing to fork out extra $$)

I saw some booster seats for dogs in Big W the other week though, it's not the same as the one I have for my 2.. but it's very similar :laugh:

car booster

I got the booster chair from these guys although right now, I think they are out of stock because it's not on the website. They do have real fancy booster chairs though (if you are willing to fork out extra $$)

I saw some booster seats for dogs in Big W the other week though, it's not the same as the one I have for my 2.. but it's very similar :laugh:

Awesome!!! Thanks so much for that! I really think they are a good idea... Do you know (or anyone else who uses them) how well they would fit with a baby capsule/car seat in the car too?

car booster

Awesome!!! Thanks so much for that! I really think they are a good idea... Do you know (or anyone else who uses them) how well they would fit with a baby capsule/car seat in the car too?

It's depends on what car you have and how big your booster seat is going to be :thumbsup:

She sounds stressed just getting in the car ... so even before short drives start by putting her in the back set and giving her treats, playing with her (low key), cuddles, fussing over her and then take her out again ... without moving the car.

Keep doing this so she will happily go to the car without needing to be picked up and carried. Then move on to having someone starting the car (with you sitting in the back with her initially), give her a treat (ginger nut biscuits are a good treat) and reward good calm behaviour. Build this up to reversing the car down the driveway and back again and then eventually drive around the block.

Having the window down a bit with fresh air is also good for travel sickness (those window shade soxs are good for keeping heads in the car and the fresh air in).

Poodlefan gave really good advice :laugh:

car booster

It's depends on what car you have and how big your booster seat is going to be :o

I suppose in reality I wouldn't have the dog and a baby in the back of the car at the same time! Just in case anyone out there thinks I could end up being an irresponsible parent....

We have the 2 extremes with our 2 - one will hop into the front seat and sit or lie calmly - the other is not too keen on getting in and doesn't particularly like the actual trip. I have seen myself - much to OHs amusement - sitting in the carport with the 2 dogs in the back seat - just going in - treating them when they get in - and then getting out again - over and over again :) The pup is 50 kgs so he is too big to lift in - we are getting there - he seems to feel more secure with his harness on too

I hope things have improved for you :cry:

I know how hard it can be to travel if pup doesn't like the car!

when we first picked up Mindy, I thought there was no hope, she was just that bad. She would cry/bark/howl/vomit/poop and nothing we tried seemed to work.

This went on for 2 weeks, which was terrible as I had planned taking her to work and uni with me and also up to the shops etc. Also, the guide dogs centre is over an hour away from us and having a screaming/defaecating puppy in the car for over an hour was not a good thought!

Then one day we tried having her in the footwell of the passenger seat at the front. I gave her a tasty treat and drove once around the block. she was fine from that day on :)

she now LOVES the car and will jump into that position herself. She curls up and sleeps most times now because she knjows we are going somewhere exciting.

I have taken her on 2 hr trips and she has been fine.

You may have to try a few different position ete but hopefully all will be good!