When Good Dogs Go Bad...

Kirty

My gorgeous girl Maisie (9yo) has suddenly become very very naughty! For the last few weeks, as soon as she comes inside, she starts stealing things, chewing things, etc. They have a blanket on their mattress and she has chewed massive holes in it! She'll sit there right in front of me and start ripping it! She will get up when nobody is looking and steal a cat toy, then eat it. Tonight they all had chews and she stole Pia's chew (even though Pia was growling at her). She completely ignores me when I tell her to do things (and I KNOW she can hear me because she hears everything else!). Perhaps she is going through a midlife crisis... She got sent outside THREE TIMES tonight for being naughty!! She is supposed to be my good girl!! :laugh:

Maybe there's something up with her? My mum's dog acts up when he gets itchy. He steals things, busts out of the yard, gets into bins, bags and cupboards and generally makes a nuisance of himself. He's better behaved when he's not itchy. My last dog just used to get a bit stir crazy. I'd go months without walking her because I was doing an honours project at the time and she lived in a large yard. Eventually she would start getting into things and ripping up papers and just acting uncharacteristically. A good long walk would solve the problem. You would think that a sudden change in behaviour would be associated with something?

Bed ripping, may mean she is cold ? Trying to re arrange bed to make it warmer.

Excessive chewing, check teeth especially at the back of you can. Pinching anything to chew & relieve.

Any new fosters ? maybe jealous.

If she is usually good something is amiss, its finding it that's the trouble.

It might be worth checking her ears, etc. She may be uncomfortable and trying to distract herself. One of my girls (9yo also) chews things up when her ears are bothering her. The big giveaway is when she starts pulling hardcover books (usually old and of sentimental value :( ) off the shelf and eating them. At one stage she had a bacterial infection deep in her ear that I didn't pick up because there was no smell or other sign, except for this behaviour.

Has there been a change in the dynamics at home? Is another dog getting more interaction/time than before.

This sounds like it could be attention seeking behaviour. I had trouble with one dog starting to eat my shoes again because another dog was getting more attention due to an injury. I just was more watchful of my things and how much attention each dog got.

Its funny that itching was mentioned because she has a flea allergy and I recently noticed a small spot she had chewed on her rump. I've treated her again with Advantage and I haven't seen her chewing at it since then but maybe that was the trigger? She has not been any more destructive outside though, its only inside. And she is definitely not cold! Their bed is right on top of the heating duct! LOL!