Thinking Of Getting A Slr...

Tay.

So I've been thinking for awhile about getting a SLR, probably not 'til next year at least, but I want to do my research :)

I've been looking at reviews and things, but I want a DOL opinion :rofl:

What's a good SLR to start out with??

(There's bound to be a similar thread around here some where....)

A couple od questions first...

What are you planning to shot & in what kind of conditions?

Do you plan to upgrade to a mid to high range camera at a future date?

What is your budget?

Edited by DMA

Mainly dogs :mad just in natural light.

Maybe, but not for a long time.

What is your budget?

Under $1000

Mainly dogs :mad just in natural light.

Maybe, but not for a long time.

What is your budget?

Under $1000

Ok the upgrade part is probably the important issue, but if it's going to be a long time off then pretty much every brand's entry level camera is an option.

Having said that the Olympus E-450 is probably the easiest around or the E-520 which has image stabilsation. They'd be around the cheapest too plus you have access to the excellent Zuiko lenses, plus both cameras are rather compact for an SLR (Olympus claim them to be the smallest ones around).

However, for a SLR, packed with features at a good price, I'd have a serious look at the Pentax K-x. Prices start at around $600 at eBay. If you don't like eBay, obviously try a good camera shop.

Meanwhile there's always the Canon 1000D & Nikon D3000 to consider as well, but I think the Pentax is better value. Mind you Sony shouldn't be ignored either.

But before you buy anything, nothing beats a hands-on experience. Erganomics is important, & if you don't like the feel of your camera, your photography will be effected believe it or not. So go to a good camera shop, try them all, then buy the one you like the most :mad

Edited by DMA

I would go for any Canon or Nikon entry level DSLR that comes with a few kit lenses.

The other brands may be cheaper but you have less lens options and less support in general. You buy a system, not just a body :mad

If you want to mostly shoot dogs, make sure it comes with a reasonably long zoom.

Oh I missed this yesterday - the old myth about Canon & Nikon :rofl: Actually 75% of lenses made for Canikon I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot extention tube as their quality is rather dubious at best. Consequentially it pretty much evens out as a result :rofl:

Basically all of the top 5 DSLR manufactures, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, & Sony have suffcient quality lenses & support. In fact I won't swap brands (I'm with Olympus) for this particular reason - that is the quality Zuiko lenses avaliable. I've got the 12-60mm SWD & the 50-200mm SWD & not one Canon or Nikon lens will come anywhere near it for image quality especially for the price. And I imagine Pentax & Sony users are likewise satisfied with the results they get.

Overall, though, it just depends how high up the camera body ladder one wants to go...

75% of Canon lenses? Come on...seriously.

Seriously. Cut the great bulk of the non-IS lenses, not to mention pretty much everything Tamron & Tokina offer, as well as a lot of Sigma, & the number of true quality lenses isn't that much greater than what's on offer for 4/3rds users. And I'd rather have my Zuiko lenses if, for no other reason, I don't have to worry about IS equipment in each lens, as all E series bodies, except the E-4xx models, have IS in the cameras. And this is despite the fact that Zuiko glass is simply excellent - especially considering the price :D

But Nikon is even worse, of course, as their level entry SLRs don't even have autofocus built into their cameras. So you've got to get lenses with the auto focus gear built into them ;)

So I've been thinking for awhile about getting a SLR, probably not 'til next year at least, but I want to do my research :rofl:

I've been looking at reviews and things, but I want a DOL opinion :rofl:

What's a good SLR to start out with??

(There's bound to be a similar thread around here some where....)

Hey,

I've just purchased a Canon 500D and very happy with it. I believe it is at the basic end of the SLR scale. Teds have it on sale for $999 with just a basic 18-55mm lens. This is fine for me for now while i get used to everything and then i can look at upgrading the lens. Depends if you want a lot of zoom. There is the Canon 550D but for what i use it for i couldn't jusity the extra cost for a few extra mega pixels. You'll also want a good large memory card too!

I mainly take photos of my dog, and find it perfect and get amazing clear shots with it. If you want to see any, send me a message.