Golden Retriever Hair.

buckley rog

Hi Everyone,

I have a general question, not sure if I am posting in the right area...

I have a golden retriever pup... he has quite short hair (getting thicker and longer with some feathering).. not sure if this is normal. Hes about 5months.

He is pure bred and was bought from a registered breeder who has been great.

Just wondering if his coat is normal for his age?

Hi,

We have a golden (he's 11 now) and if I recall correctly, the hair took a while to get to a 'normal' length. He looked like a furry teddy bear for at least six months and then the length started coming in.

Our little girl (we are picking her up in a few weeks) has very short hair at the moment, so I guess it is one of those things which takes a little time.

Hope that helps.

Hi there,

This is Riley our Golden Retriever cross Border Collie pup - he is about 4.5 months and still looks like a teddy/lamb (as we call him as his ears are starting to look folded down the middle) - I'll give you a race to see who's coat grows in first? Lol, just thought the picture would help.

P.S Both dogs had just come back from the beach, so niether looking particulalry well groomed.

post-31394-1291615318_thumb.jpg

post-31394-1291615329_thumb.jpg

post-31394-1291615338_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I have a golden retriever pup... he has quite short hair (getting thicker and longer with some feathering).. not sure if this is normal. Hes about 5months.

Yes that is normal.

Additionally some Goldens have shorter hair anyway. There is huge variation in coat type and length in the retriever breeds.

Is he for showing?

Hi Everyone,

Yes that is normal.

Additionally some Goldens have shorter hair anyway. There is huge variation in coat type and length in the retriever breeds.

Is he for showing?

no not for showing. Just a pet. Both his parents had thick coats so I guess I just need to be patient :rolleyes: