Shell Fish Based Supplement

I have been feeding my dog Shell Fish based supplements now for several years as they get older.

Recently I took my 9 1/2 yr Old Male Lab to the vets with a suspect throat irritation.

He was given antibiotics for 5 days and it appeared to get better. A week or so after finishing the Antibiotics the symptoms came back again.

Another visit to the vets and under full anaesthetic a Scope was put down his throat and a Chest X-Ray was taken.

Samples of fluid were taken from his lungs and sent away for Testing.

The initial test came back negative but the cultures came back showing a Bacterial Infection on known to Shell Fish, never before seen in Dogs.

More antibiotics for an extended period have been prescribed.

Discussing his activities over the past few weeks/months, we realised the only contact he has had with Shell Fish is the Supplement I feed them.

It appears he may have inhaled some of the powder whilst eating, causing the bacterial infection in his lung.

More X-Ray's are to be taken early in the new year to see if the infection has cleared.\

Has anyone else had a similar incident?

Very interesting! Are you able to tell us which bacteria & which shellfish?

I've never heard of this happening with shellfish powder, but I think any food inhaled into the lungs can potentially cause a serious infection. Hopefully your dog recovers well.

The ingredients in the Supplement are: green lipped mussel powder, shark cartilage and abalone powder.

I have spoken to the Manufacturer and they have asked for the remaining product to be returned for further testing and also details from my Vet in regards to my Dogs case history.

They have offered Free an alternative product which does not contain Shell fish products.

I will keep you posted with any further results.