Rules Question - Nsw

I have a question for those that know the ANKC/NSW rules better than I do .....

If a dog goes into the ring for the wrong class in group (say they are puppy and go in for minor) is there any rule to stop them entering the ring for the correct class?

I have seen exhibitors both allowed (many times) and blocked (once) from going back in, so there doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule on this, or not one that is followed religiously.

(please please dont anyone post that the dog cant go back in because it is a 'beaten dog' :D . Every dog that goes in for class in group is a beaten dog! (beaten by BIG winner) so I dont think this is a relevant rule here).

LOL howd they get in the ring for the wrong class?? not very good stewarding!! Im assuming the exhibitor wasnt paying attention and took the wrong dog or just plain went in the wrong time and that they arnt doing this on purpose??

time to fess up - it was me :D

Steward didnt announce the class - just started calling breeds. I didn't hear numbers but I was tired so may have missed them. I was the only Havanese exhibitor waiting, and the steward called Havanese and looked at me, so in I went! Turns out it was puppy, not junior as I was waiting for :) (but steward didnt call out 'puppy' before calling in the dogs - I knew I was waiting for junior LOL)

The steward then wouldn't let me into the correct class as I was a 'beaten dog', which I disagree with (all the dogs going in for junior are beaten dogs!). I've seen plenty of people run out of the wrong class and be allowed back into the right one. At the end of a tiring weekend of shows, mistakes happen. It's just than when I make them, the consequences seem to be more severe ;)

I want to find out what the rules are, in case I ever make the same mistake again.

EFS

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

Ahh my favourite rule.

In our circumstances we had several Whippet bitches, two rings and the main two handlers were split. Someone handed the handler the wrong dog for the Intermediate class. The dog was exhibited in this class and was only when they went to get to NT Bred that they realised the mistake. In our rules this means that the bitch that was judged in the Intermediate class (actually the NT Bred) is disqualified from further competition as it was exhibited in a class it was not entered in. Also the actual Intermediate bitch could not be judged as the class had already been judged and our rules stipulate that a class cannot be rejudged.

Is this the scenario you mean??

Technically you are a beaten dog .....

If you went in as a Puppy and didn't win (which you would later be disqualified for anyway) .... you were beaten by the Best Puppy.

As an example .... if the Best Puppy was a Cavalier .... and the Junior Cavalier had beaten the puppy in the breed - maybe for a CC or resCC

then technically you cannot beat the Junior Cavalier.

Hope that makes sense ... no doubt a confusing situation all round.

Technically you are a beaten dog .....

If you went in as a Puppy and didn't win (which you would later be disqualified for anyway) .... you were beaten by the Best Puppy.

As an example .... if the Best Puppy was a Cavalier .... and the Junior Cavalier had beaten the puppy in the breed - maybe for a CC or resCC

then technically you cannot beat the Junior Cavalier.

Hope that makes sense ... no doubt a confusing situation all round.

Except you dont compete against your own breed in classes for group, so in this scenario, the dog is not beating the junior cavalier, it is beating the junior dogs of other breeds. Every class in breed winner who did not get BOB is a beaten dog, so if this is how the rule was applied, no dogs except BOB winner could go in for class in group!

A more similar situation is BIG. Even though a Junior BOB winner might be beaten for BIG and Best Open in Group (say) they are still allowed to compete in Best Junior in Group.

Ahh my favourite rule.

In our circumstances we had several Whippet bitches, two rings and the main two handlers were split. Someone handed the handler the wrong dog for the Intermediate class. The dog was exhibited in this class and was only when they went to get to NT Bred that they realised the mistake. In our rules this means that the bitch that was judged in the Intermediate class (actually the NT Bred) is disqualified from further competition as it was exhibited in a class it was not entered in. Also the actual Intermediate bitch could not be judged as the class had already been judged and our rules stipulate that a class cannot be rejudged.

Is this the scenario you mean??

Yes, except it was class in group (not breed judging) and the class the dog should have been in had not yet been judged, so could have entered the correct class without any rejudging (and I have seen this happen several times)

I have also heard in the past that a dog should not be penalised for a mistake by the show or steward (for example, if your entry is accepted but not put into the catalogue, you can compete anyway. Or if the cataloguer mistakenly puts a dog into the wrong class, the dog can still compete in its correct class). If this is correct, I could have argued that it was a steward mistake (as she didnt state which class was being judged).

Re classes not being allowed to be rejudged, I though they were allowed to be rejudged if the steward/judge etc had made a mistake. I have certainly seen classes rejudged, even when there was no mistake made but the exhibitors agreed on it.

For example if a dog has been put into the wrong class by the cataloguer, the class would have to be rejudged once the mistake was rectified. Also if a judge awards reserve without waiting for the no 2 class winner to come back in I have seen the challenge rejudged. I have twice been refused entry to the ring by a steward who had their result sheet wrong. One time I asked for a class in group to be rejudged and the steward denied my request, but I have always thought that if I pushed it would have to be rejudged. (the steward would not allow me in the ring because she had a different number on her result sheet, which was incorrect)

Anyway, I am taking my own thread off topic here :D . I am still not nearly conviced that the 'beaten dog' rule applies in the case I have mentioned.

If a dog goes into the ring for the wrong class in group (say they are puppy and go in for minor) is there any rule to stop them entering the ring for the correct class?

I have seen exhibitors both allowed (many times) and blocked (once) from going back in, so there doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule on this, or not one that is followed religiously.

(please please dont anyone post that the dog cant go back in because it is a 'beaten dog' :laugh: . Every dog that goes in for class in group is a beaten dog! (beaten by BIG winner) so I dont think this is a relevant rule here).

If the dog has been judged in the wrong class, it is immediately disqualified for that reason. If you realise before the class is judged and leave the ring, you would still be eligible to be judged in the correct class.

(please please dont anyone post that the dog cant go back in because it is a 'beaten dog' :laugh: . Every dog that goes in for class in group is a beaten dog! (beaten by BIG winner) so I dont think this is a relevant rule here).

If the dog has been judged in the wrong class, it is immediately disqualified for that reason. If you realise before the class is judged and leave the ring, you would still be eligible to be judged in the correct class.

ETA:

14.3 A dog shall be disqualified from winning a prize at a Show held under the

Regulations if a Show Committee is satisfied that:-

(i) any dye, colouring, whitening or darkening matter, or preparation,

has been used and if the effect of it remains at any time during the

Show;

(ii) any oil, grease, sticky or glossy substances have been used and if the

effect of it remains on the coat of the dog at any time during the

Show;

(iii) the lining membranes of the mouth have been cut, pierced or

mutilated in any way;

(iv) the dog has been led into the Ring or exhibited by a person who has

been debarred or suspended by Dogs NSW under the

Regulations.

(v) the dog has been entered after the closing date for entries;

(vi) the dog was for any reason ineligible to compete in the relative class

or event.

This from the show regulations on the Dogs NSW website http://www.dogsnsw.org.au/images/stories/P...art_02_Show.pdf

ETA:

14.3 A dog shall be disqualified from winning a prize at a Show held under the

Regulations if a Show Committee is satisfied that:-

(i) any dye, colouring, whitening or darkening matter, or preparation,

has been used and if the effect of it remains at any time during the

Show;

(ii) any oil, grease, sticky or glossy substances have been used and if the

effect of it remains on the coat of the dog at any time during the

Show;

(iii) the lining membranes of the mouth have been cut, pierced or

mutilated in any way;

(iv) the dog has been led into the Ring or exhibited by a person who has

been debarred or suspended by Dogs NSW under the

Regulations.

(v) the dog has been entered after the closing date for entries;

(vi) the dog was for any reason ineligible to compete in the relative class

or event.

This from the show regulations on the Dogs NSW website http://www.dogsnsw.org.au/images/stories/P...art_02_Show.pdf

Thanks Jo

I am horrified by "the lining membranes of the mouth have been cut, pierced or mutilated in any way;"

what on earth is this referring to?