Some People Are Just Barking Mad!

My Dog Rosie

I love my dog but I wouldn't read her poetry to get her to sleep!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...ted-owners.html

The labrador who goes to the cinema in a £6,000 couture collar. The Welsh terrier whose owner tastes his food. The Yorkie treated to a £20,000 wedding. A new TV show reveals how far people will go to keep their dogs happy

There’s a touching sweetness about Ted and Lucy Kennedy’s relationship that many a couple would envy.

They dine out together at top restaurants; evenings in are spent lying on the sofa together, as she recites him poetry until he finally falls asleep; and she constantly tells him how much she loves him while he, in return, is her devoted companion.

But here’s the thing – Lucy is a 40-something singleton, while Ted is a ten-year-old Welsh terrier who has her wrapped round his little paw.

Their eccentric – some might say barking mad – life is revealed as part of a new Sky 1 series about the bizarre relationships between dogs and their owners. And there’s no shortage of larger-than-life personalities to choose from. Neurotic, controlling, wilful – and those are just the dogs.

Their owners are even more bizarre.

The canine stars of A Different Breed include Vinnie Jones, the psychic dachshund who spots ghosts invisible to us; pampered Yorkshire terrier Lola, who is married off in a £20,000 ceremony by her doting owner; and, of course, Ted, the light of Lucy Kennedy’s eyes.

When I talk to Lucy, she is busy eating. I assume it’s a sandwich but, in fact, she’s crunching a Bonio. Because such is her devotion to Ted that nothing passes his lips without her tasting it first, and she now has an enviable knowledge of the dog treats market.

‘Bonios are a little heavy-going sometimes, but most of the dog biscuits are lovely,’ says Lucy.

‘One dog treat, made by Burns, tastes like a delicious wine gum. I ate a whole packet when I was stuck in traffic the other day. Somebody bought Ted a box of dog chocolates, and I ate them all. They were delicious, and I’m going back for another box just for myself.

‘The staff at the dog-walking business I run also try the food. One of them, Conrad, ate a packet of dog biscuits the other week, although admittedly he didn’t come to work the next day.’

Lucy loves Ted so much that she sold the string of estate agencies she owned to become a dog walker, dog sitter, groomer and trainer. Her company, Happy Dogs, based at her home in Notting Hill Gate, west London, looks after the dogs of the rich, the famous and the just plain batty.

Recently, she took 15 of the dogs to the premiere of the film Cats & Dogs 2. ‘Mimi the Labrador wore a £6,000 Vivienne Westwood couture collar, and Ted was in a black collar studded with diamonds. I knew the dogs would love the film, and they sat riveted.

'Our night out was filmed for the show, but one of the famous owners changed their minds about their doggie appearing on TV – so they’ve had to pixelate his face so he won’t be recognised in the park.’

Lucy’s devotion to Ted began more than nine years ago, when she rehomed him as a puppy.

‘He was so mischievous he was returned to the breeder,’ she says. ‘I recognised he is incredibly intelligent. He understands everything I say. I read him poetry at night, which normally he loves, although he didn’t last night – he rolled his eyes, sighed and pushed the book away with his paw.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...l#ixzz1HgVPoqiS