Heart Beats

Irish Lassy

Hi everyone i am having my first litter and am terribly excited about it all :laugh::laugh:

Could any one tell me at what age can you hear fetal heart beats?

- i am actually a nurse so i have a trusty stethoscope, but arnt having much luck?

I have read on the net it can be quite early, she is an irish wolfhound and i have been told she would be carrying them quite high, in regards to her depth of chest etc.

She has been diagnosed with an ultrasound as being pregnant about a week ago.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thankyou in advance :laugh: :D

Hi Irish Lassy,

I know your excitment well, with Freya's litter I could pick up heart beats at about 6 weeks I think

and it was amusing to listen to them beating away. Freya also enjoyed the extra attention I beieve.

Fast forward to last year and her daughter Wombat was in whelp and not for love or money could I

pick up heart beats or for that matter much in the way of movment (compared with Freya's litter at least). Turned out that Wombat had a very crowded situation going on with 14 big whelps jamed in there like sardines in a tin. Wombat was not quite as happy to have me listening as Freya had been and with the wisdom of hindsight I think this was due to her being so uncomfortable with the bellie full of pups. (the pups alone weighed 9.2 kgs at birth).

Cheers

Linda