Deaf Dog

Was hoping DOLers could share their experiences and successes with training a deaf dog. We have THE MOST gorgeous boy, but alas he is deaf. (all white, blue eyes with a grey merle patch by his right eye) and i really want to give him a go, but am a bit confused as to how to 'call' a deaf dog? I think he may be pitch deaf - can anyone suggesta site i can buy one of those silent dog whistle's from? i want to experiment with that to test y theory. He seems to be able to hear the gate sqeaul when i open it (it's not visible from his usual hiding place, so he's not relying on sight). The vet has confirmed his deafness, but i am going to take him in to see if he has an ear infection. Is it possible that he could have been born with an ear infection, and that it could be fixed? hopefully have him to the vet in the next week. He such a gorgeous natured dog! he is a crossbred - american bulldog/mastiff x ridgeback/bullarab/dane...

looking forward to responses!

I would have thought a deaf dog couldnt hear a dog whistle as you would still require acute hearing for that type of whistle? I could be wrong. If you believe he may have some hearing at certain levels it might be a good idea on the whistle, you could also try the online pitch hearing tests, I cannot remember the one I went to but It was obvious when me and the oh tested it that he can hear more pitches than i can, it was a series of pitch levels you would click and they would play for 5 seconds each.

It might be a good idea to read the below sites in training deaf dogs :laugh:

training recall on a deaf dog

This one is particularly helpful

deaf dog education fund

Edited by kyliegirl

I haven't trained a deaf dog, but what I have heard and read is that using something like a torch/laser light to get their attention in terms of recall, using a mini bean bag to throw in their field of view to get their attention, and in terms of many other behaviours just doing intensive work with clear hand signals (so long as you have clear hand signals for each behaviour there really isn't a need for a voice command to go with it - obviously distance may need to be taken into account with this!!).

Good luck at giving him a go with his training I think you'll find it challenging at first but probably amazingly rewarding in the end!!!