Mauis First Attempt At Agility

Maui (JRT) is 7 months old (next week!!) and just a bundle of energy, jumping all over the place. So I thought I would buy a couple of things to start a little agility training whilst he is soo keen.

I set up the hoop last night (its inflatable!) and he got the hang of it straight away! Will be getting him used to the small heights before making it any higher.

He was a little wary of the tunnel, but soon got used to it.

He was just so excited jumping through the hoop, he had the biggest grin on his face!. Here is a photo I took last night, not great quality as its on my iphone :)

229034_10150188400845878_589495877_7132556_4261252_n.jpg

Looks like an agility dog in the making :thumbsup:

I would keep that tyre and any other jumps no higher than his fetlocks until he's at least 12 months old. He's still growing and you don't want to damage his joints. He probably won't jump much higher than that in competition anyway if you decide to trial.

I'd not recommend weaving until he's that age either.

Edited by poodlefan

I would keep that tyre and any other jumps no higher than his fetlocks until he's at least 12 months old. He's still growing and you don't want to damage his joints. He probably won't jump much higher than that in competition anyway if you decide to trial.

Thanks for the advise! :)

I know he can jump much higher (and does quite often onto the couches etc) but I want to keep that jump low until he can do it easy and without distraction.. I did get some weave poles but dont intend on using them yet, maybe slowly once or twice so he can get used to them..

Thanks for the advise! :)

I know he can jump much higher (and does quite often onto the couches etc) but I want to keep that jump low until he can do it easy and without distraction.. I did get some weave poles but dont intend on using them yet, maybe slowly once or twice so he can get used to them..

He won't get used to them if you only do it once or twice. Seriously there is so much you can do to get him started that doesn't involve using obstacles that might damage him.

If you have a solid lead out, he will work both sides of you using your arms to guide him and he will give you a contact behaviour on a plank flat on the ground, that's way more valuable. Most experienced agilty folk will tell you that is not teaching obstacles that takes the time but teaching how to get BETWEEN them.. that can all be done without straining a growing frame. :)