Dehairing My Dog!

Hi there,

What's best to use on my Border Collie? His top coat is easy to comb/brush, but his undercoat takes some doing. It pulls quite a bit especially

round his rear end. I've seen rakes - are these any good? Any suggestions welcome!

All I use on my female golden retriever Shelley is the slicker brush,undercoat rake and a comb. I use the undercoat rake first to remove most of the dead undercoat, I then use the comb to get the remaining dead hair from her coat, then I use the slicker brush to finish. It takes me about a hour to throughly brush Shelley.

A collie comb (with wide spaced teeth), a really good quality bristle and nylon brush, soft slicker and if he is desexed a small Mars coat king for removing really thick tangles. Get your breeder to show you how to groom with which tools.

I always use a Mason Pearson brush but Plush Puppy make a pretty good cheaper version. Always brush from the tips of the hair first working up the hair in layers towards the skin. Most tangles can be removed by gently pulling a few hairs at a time out of the tangle towards the dog until it starts to unravel.