Another Thread On Toilet Issues....

Mand2410

I am after some advice with my 14 week old Whippet puppy...

We have had her since she was 8.5 weeks... So nearly 6 weeks now... and she has been crate trained since we got her... We have no problems putting her in her crate, and she sleeps through the night, and never soils in her crate...

The problem is she doesn't seem to be making any progress with the toilet training otherwise.... She is confinded to a single room when she is out of her crate, and I am usually in the room with her... I watch her like a hawk, but she still just goes where ever she wants too...

I take her out at least every hour, and if she hasn't been, I take her again in 20 minutes... but still she will manage to go less than 5 minutes after she is inside... While I understand that accidents happen, it is getting beyond a joke... She makes no attempt to hold it, and no attempt to let me know...

I have followed all the toilet traing advice I have otherwise seen here... But something needs to change.... I must be doing SOMETHING wrong....

Please help, it is starting to cause tension with my Husband, as he was not a fan of an inside dog....

Thanks

Have a chat to your vet on your next visit, or if you're doing puppy classes ask the trainer - they're there to help :)

Do you wait for her to go toilet when you take her outside before letting her back inside? Sometimes you need to be veeerrryy patient, don't let her back inside until she goes, when she does act like it's the best thing in the whole world.

It's difficult when you get no indication like sniffing, circling etc (I had the same problem with my pup).

The other thing that may be worth considering is how cold it is outside, we've recently had a few really cold mornings and Archer has decided going straight outside the door and running back inside is sufficient rather than his designated toilet spot.

Take pup out, give her 20 minutes to do her business, if she doesnt go, bring her back inside and within 2 minutes coming in, take her straight out again.

It's like they are outside and forget to go because there is things to distract them, once they go inside, it's like they remember they have to go and will go....

Praise and rewards like mad when she goes outside. Ignore and don't react if she goes inside. Be consistant about it.

She is still young. Pup have no control of their bladder till they are 6 months old.

At 14 weeks I was still taking my puppy out every 20 minutes, and continued to do so until he was nearly 6 months old.

What do you do when she goes outside? Do you give her several yummy treats, or do you just praise? I would give treats. When you go outside, I would only give her 5 minutes to do her thing and if she doesn't crate her for 10 minutes and then try again. Repeat until she goes.

At 14 weeks I was still taking my puppy out every 20 minutes, and continued to do so until he was nearly 6 months old.

What do you do when she goes outside? Do you give her several yummy treats, or do you just praise? I would give treats. When you go outside, I would only give her 5 minutes to do her thing and if she doesn't crate her for 10 minutes and then try again. Repeat until she goes.

Thanks for the input...

I will try waiting a set 5 minutes and re-crating her if she doesn't go for 10 minutes and then trying again...

How long should I let her have out of her crate if she does go outside? And how am I supposed to gauge if I should hold out for poo's or not.... She is actually worse with her poo than wee... She holds on much better with that, but it seems to be the poo I get caught on!

If she has an accident I just clean it up, I never say anything...Unless I see her about to squat.. Then I usually say "No".... and pick her up and rush her outside.... Somethimes she stops... Sometimes we leave a trail! :S

I do try to give her lots of praise when she goes outside... And sometimes a treat... I will try to treat more for toileting! I guess at 3 in the morning which is her guaranteed go time, I am not thinking about finding a treat! :) :) (I will put some with her lead before bed to see if it helps!)

Today I tried to be firmer about waiting, and she got 5 minutes to "go" if she didn't go, straight back to her crate for 20 mins... But she held on for 4 hours for a wee.... and 6 hours to poo.... I swear she was being stubborn!

I just feel so bad, as it meant she spent a lot of time in her crate today...

After she did poo, I made sure we had some really fun playtime together, and a snuggle on the chair... But it just feels so mean! :(

Thanks for your help... I will try all the suggestions!

Amanda

Don't worry you're not being mean! She will get it soon. Just remember the rule of consistency.

Do you use a word/command when she toilets? I found that helped us a bit. I always just say "go wees" (it goes for both wee and poo) and while Kenzie was a baby she always got a treat every single time for probably about 6 months if she went. Then we started tapering it off. If she always needs to go at 3 in the morning have a think about what time you are feeding her - this is from something I read in another thread a while ago, and I think the advice was to feed later so that way they didn't need to go during the night - but don't quote me I'm going on memory about that one!! YOu might be able to find that post in amongst the millions of things on toilet training!!

Good luck.

My 4 month old pup is exactly the same. It is driving me crazy! :banghead: I swear she will be outside and then come in to wee! Or she will wee inside just near the open back door. I toilet her after every rest, meal, play and at least every 40minutes or so. If she does go inside I always take her out anyway and try and get her to go again even if it's just a few drops so I can heap on the praise. I guess I just have to hope she gets the hang of it VERY soon :laugh:

Some pups just take a little longer to get it. Gypsy was terrible, the suddenly just clicked at 6 months. She's now 4yrs old and the only time she has an accident is when she can't get outside (she is inside over night and when we're all out), which is very rare now.

If there is nothing wrong medically, I think persistence is the key. Just keep trying and she should get the idea.