Anyone Train In The Illawarra Area?

Hi there :)

Just wondering if anyone trains in the Illawarra / Wollongong area?? I have had Roy in at the training at JJ Kelly park (Sat afternoons) for his puppy training course, and am considering changing to the one at Dapto showground (Sat mornings) from now on (better time for us and much closer). Does anybody have experience with either of these, or know of any others?

I took Zeus to the Dapto training (it's very local to me! :laugh:) and found it was okay at the start but once he graduated to Class 1, the classes were far to crowded for my liking, especially since Zeus is a very social dog. I also had trouble with his half beagle nose as he wanted to sniff out and eat everything that had been dropped on the ground during the markets.

Also, as Zeus is my first dog, I found that the instructors didn't really have time to help me one on one, which is what I needed in order to teach him to walk properly on lead, rather than drag me around.

The beginner classes were much smaller as everyone seems to graduate quickly -- also, the higher classes are designed for Obedience Trials and I don't really require Zeus to learn how to do all the stuff taught in those classes.

I'm now looking into the Naughty Dog School at Kembla Grange; it's held on Sundays and the maximum number of dogs in each class is about 8 so it's much smaller, which is what I need. And they also run all types of classes (not just for naughty dogs!!!). Will let you know what I find out!

I took Zeus to the Dapto training (it's very local to me! :laugh:) and found it was okay at the start but once he graduated to Class 1, the classes were far to crowded for my liking, especially since Zeus is a very social dog. I also had trouble with his half beagle nose as he wanted to sniff out and eat everything that had been dropped on the ground during the markets.

Also, as Zeus is my first dog, I found that the instructors didn't really have time to help me one on one, which is what I needed in order to teach him to walk properly on lead, rather than drag me around.

The beginner classes were much smaller as everyone seems to graduate quickly -- also, the higher classes are designed for Obedience Trials and I don't really require Zeus to learn how to do all the stuff taught in those classes.

I'm now looking into the Naughty Dog School at Kembla Grange; it's held on Sundays and the maximum number of dogs in each class is about 8 so it's much smaller, which is what I need. And they also run all types of classes (not just for naughty dogs!!!). Will let you know what I find out!

Oooohhh - crowded is hard!! Roy was already very side tracked in a class of 4 at puppy training lol!! Just so tempted with Dapto training as it is about a 10 minute walk from our place!!! Will go check out the naughty dog school website - thanks for the info :)

I go to JJ Kelly sometimes. But mainly to give my dogs some social time. My dogs trained elsewhere and some methods at Illawarra are too harsh for me personally.

Dapto is more up to date and meeting lots of dogs is good. Just keep attending and you should get there.

Good luck and I might see you round!

Hi Skip - yep thats one of the issues I have in there - bit harsher than I would like. One of the other puppy owners pointed out last week that none of the older well trained dogs didnt look very happy - nor did the owners lol!!!

RiverStar-Aura - Ive taken the plunge and just booked into the Advance Puppy Course (start next Sunday!!) at the Naughty Dog School - looks like they cover a lot, and like you I like the idea of a smaller class :)

Let me know how Naughty Dog School turns out BC Love because I'd love to know how it seems. Along with Zeus I also have a 14 week old puppy who's just graduated from Puppy Pre-School and is in need of further training too.

Oh and maybe once your little guy has finished with NDS you could give Dapto training a go for further obedience. Most of the things I've taught Zeus has been outside dog school. He knows: how do you do? (shake hands), roll over, BANG! (play dead), spin, around (he circles around me clockwise and sits at my left side), through (circles anti-clockwise and sits between my legs), high-ten, where's the duck? (it's our hide and seek game where I hide his squeaky duck and he looks for it) and we're working on balancing a treat on his nose.

He's a really smart boy and a quick learner and it frustrates me that I fail at teaching him how to walk on a leash without dragging me along! That's the area I've failed at as an owner but I'm glad he'll never be too old to learn because he's always eager to be taught new things! :)

Awww - Zeus sound super cute and so clever!!

We stared clicker traing Roy from when we first got him and he does great with tricks - but like you I want awesome on a lead...and good manners lol!! Will definitely let you know how it goes (start this Sunday!!!!) - and I have found a Mum at the kids school who has used Dapto training and loved it more than Wollongong - think she said the classes could be a little big though. :)