The Ekka

huga

Thanks Flux :)

The 50mm is a prime lens and yep, fixed at that focal length. The 1.8 refers to the maximum aperture of the lens, or f stop. So it opens up to f1.8, although I shot pretty much all of that at f2.5. I don't generally shoot that wide usually, but it was necessary in this situation (to let enough light in). The 105mm is also a prime lens (I only have primes).

This is the little nifty fifty here http://d-d-photographics.com.au/products/Nikon-AF%252dS-50mm-f%7B47%7D1.8G-Wide-Angle-Lens.html

Thank you! Going to try out my photo skills more and more :) It was only recently I realised what an f stop was - as I thought the iso controlled the light. It seems the iso plays a part (sensing the general atmosphere? Sunny/cloudy/indoor etc?), but yes my f stop is telling me how much or little I'm letting in, together with shutter speed. Hmm yes, back to my books (which really sucks). I learn much quicker being shown in person! Excellent photos, you've inspired me to go out to general spots now and just give it a go :)

I am far from an expert and I suck at explaining. But all three play a part. I learnt by putting my camera on manual and playing around. So wider apertures will let more light in, but the focal plane is very small (so one small part in focus, with the other parts blurry). ISO - higher ISOs will let more light in, but may make the image noisy (depending on a few things). And shutter speed is pretty obvious - the slower the ss, the more light. I don't like to drop my ss lower than 1/200th when shooting kids and dogs, but sometimes that's impossible. Like the Ekka photos - in the dog pavillion (for the show shots with the 105mm) I was using:

ISO 1600

SS 1/100th

f/2.8

Far from ideal :o

Katie - I think you did really well with the conditions. I don't think you could have adjusted your settings any differently. Your camera should be fine at ISO 1600, I think were all a little afraid of 'noise', but at the end of the day I would rather get the shot and have a little noise than not get the shot at all.

I think back to my film days at uni, and 'film grain' was part and parcel of the process.... and if all else fails, convert to black and white!

Wonderful set of photographs and I felt like I was really there!! Just lovely!!!