Anxiety Or Boredom?

SAAM

Hi -

Needing some help, I have a 12month old Samoyed, she is a rescue dog, gorgeous girl, has had some training and very people focused,.

I have to leave her to go to work for 2 days a week, long days, maybe 8 + hours. I have another samoyed, older, used to being left, they stay together, to give her company and support.

She has started being very destructive, well, she has always been that way, since we have had her, but now it seems to be getting worse. She ripped up the seat of the lounge, jumped up on the tops and cleared everything off of it in the kitchen, tore up the garbage etc etc. I know I could put her in a small travelling pen for the day, but I really dont want to. I can shut her in the laundry but I think she will shred the doors. I have tried bones and kongs etc and toys, but she is not at all food focused, so that doesnt work and all that happens is my older overweight dog just gets fatter!!

I am not sure if it is separation anxiety or boredom. any ideas. She goes to Doggy day care one day a week, the day before I go to work, but I cant get her there on the work days, so thats out.

I thought of the stuff you put in the diffuser, name escapes me, do you think that would work or be worth a try?? Any suggestions, her behaviour is definately getting worse.

Hoping someone can help with suggestions.

DAP diffuser may be worth a try, as might a tryptophan supplement (e.g Troy "Behave" paste), but I would suggest that given her age she probably just requires a lot more mental and physical stimulation. What activity is she getting currently?