Hd/aa X-ray In Australia

Hi everyone

Im just wondering about how the system is to take x-ray of HD/AA is in Australia?

When i lived in Norway my vet would sendt in the HD/AA images to NKK, and then I would get the answers in a few weeks in my mailbox.

is it the same here? Is there any place I can read about it?

Thanks.

Hi everyone

Im just wondering about how the system is to take x-ray of HD/AA is in Australia?

When i lived in Norway my vet would sendt in the HD/AA images to NKK, and then I would get the answers in a few weeks in my mailbox.

is it the same here? Is there any place I can read about it?

Thanks.

Hi Mollylab....it pretty much works the same way here in Australia...although we do refer to it as hip/elbows.

Do check that your vet is experienced with doing xrays for scoring as not all vets can do it well enough....I'm sure there are others here who can recommend a good one local to you.

There are 2 readers that I know of...Lavelle and Rawlinson. I have used Rawlinson here is SA and had results back within days of him recieving the disc. My vet gives me the option of posting myself , the disc and paperwork come back to me. Or if they post it off they get the disc and paperwork. Either way I recieve a copy by email from Rawlinson as soon as he has read them.

Thanks Kia :)

So it's not your kennel club in Australia who reads them?

So confusing :laugh: . Would be very happy if anyone would tell me about any experienced vets in the western suburbs area and readers :). but the reader can be anywhere since you will send the disk in the mail anyway?

If you go to the breeders forum you will see a number of threads on scoring hips and elbows.

Note that we use the Willis system here for scoring (same as the UK).

The Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) and ANKC has CHEDS which most use, though many will not use this directly (as the x-rays are sent randomly to different scorers) but instead will send them directly to a particular scorer (see threads in breeders forum regarding recommendations for this). Both are acceptable ways of doing it.

Here is a link which explains the Willis system of scoring if you are not familiar. It is a bit more specific in its result than the European system of A/A etc as the numbers aren't grouped in grades.

Here is information on comparing scoring systems so you can work out roughly how the different scores compare.