Grooming Clippers For Small Dogs

Pugmum

Hi,

My daughter has two long haired Chihuahuas and is looking into finding a place to teach her to groom them.

I'd like to get her some good equipment, but have no idea what would be best to get - does anyone have a recommendation ?

thanks

Edited by Pugmum

Long Hair Chihuahuas aren't traditionally a clipped breed. Most only get a tidy up with scissors around the feet, ears, tail & pants at the groomers. Some owners do desire a shaved look. It's personal choice, although you should be warned that sometimes the coat will not grow back properly if shaved.

For home grooming, really a bath, blow dry with a human hairdryer (while brushing at the same time), and then a good comb through to finish, should remove sufficient dead hairs and make for a nice clean fluffy dog. Then if you are confident, trim any straggly bits off to meet your ideal look.

If you want to learn clipping or trimming techniques then maybe look at doing a Tafe course. There you will also get information on what equipment you require to buy.

Thanks,

Yes, one of the dogs really only needs a trim to stop knots under his ears etc the other has a slightly wavy coat and as she is very small it gets knots and burs very easily as it does not clear the ground in many places, the wavyness makes it difficult to get a good look with scissors. she's also tad overweight so the idea is to also keep her cool in summer.

I bought mine from Clipperworld - fantastic! Great prices and service/advice. Ask for a quote/bundle and they were happy to oblige.

I got the Wahl KM (2 speed). It's great, though if I could change one thing I would make it smaller/lighter.

I sort of wish that I had gone with an Andis clipper as they are apparently smaller and equally as well made (but they are pricier).