Canidae Vs Eaglepack

luckypup

Im wondering if someone could please tell me the differences between Canidae and Eaglepack in terms of Protein levels etc? my dog has ALWAYS been fed Eaglepack, but yet again its much harder to get it. He has always been fed a mixture of the Chicken/Lamb and Reduced fat...Today i thought i would try the reduced fat/weight loss Canidae as i couldnt get the Eaglepack...

Where would i find the info for the percentage of each food content and how high is too high (eg i think the canidae has 20% protein...)is that high? what levels should i be looking at?

My dog is by no means overweight, the reduced fat is purely to balance out the high fat content of the chicken flavour as he doesnt need the high fat content.

Thanks in advance :)

possibly lol but im more wondering what is a good range for a dogs health...some foods are very high in certain foods and i dont want him getting sick of course

Depends on the dog's age, breed, health and exercise level.

Personally, for a healthy pet that gets moderate exercise, I'd say anything up to about 30% protein and 15-18% fat is fine for a younger dog.

I'd drop the fat levels for a sedentary or older dog.

But really, provided it's a quality food and the dog isn't overweight, any of the premium ones are fine. I don't think it hurts to switch brands or types occasionally either, provided the dog finds them palatable.

thats fine as it will be mixed with the higher fat of the chicken and lamb flavours from the eaglepack :) looked at the others and they should be fine to mix with this one too :) I want the lower fat as i said cos he doesnt need the high fat content of the others alone, this kinda balances it out for him. he does quite well on the reduced fat mixed with the others. The Canidae is actually much cheaper for me to get than the Eaglepack which i was surprised at, so if he does well on it ill stick to it. Its holistic too which is important to me :)

thats fine as it will be mixed with the higher fat of the chicken and lamb flavours from the eaglepack :) looked at the others and they should be fine to mix with this one too :) I want the lower fat as i said cos he doesnt need the high fat content of the others alone, this kinda balances it out for him. he does quite well on the reduced fat mixed with the others. The Canidae is actually much cheaper for me to get than the Eaglepack which i was surprised at, so if he does well on it ill stick to it. Its holistic too which is important to me :)

I don't actually think that the use of the word 'holistic' actually means much when it comes to dog foods. But there's no doubting Canidae is a quality product.

Hehe well yeah true...but they have a grain free version which is great! i never really looked into Canidae as i was always happy with Eaglepack cos my dogs always done fantastic on it! but Canidae seems to be just as good if not better so whatever i can do to make my dog as healthy as possible is a bonus! p.s yes, he does get raw food on occasion (i do know thats the ultimate way to go but he reacts to most foods in "raw" form so i tend to go the dry and he has no issues)

Thanks so much for your help :)

Guest lavendergirl

Taste of the Wild have a grain free kibble with lower protein levels than the Canidae grain free. You can get it at www.naturalpetstore.com.au.