Help Needed-dog Is Agressive Towards New Rescue Dog!

Hey all

I currently own an 8 yr old chihuahua x who is becoming aggressive to my current 9 yr old rescue dog-a border collie x. They are fine when they are outside together but as soon as I bring the border collie x in, my other dog starts barking at him. I am desperate here!! The rescue dog is an angel, friendly, well behaved etc. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

How long have you had the rescue dog for? Is the BC a new addition or has the dog been with you for some time and your chihuahua's behaviour has recently changed?

The BC had been here for just over a week. They are fine outside together but inside, my chihuahua will bark at the BC on and off and I can never be sure when he will start or why. Right now they are both asleep together inside so it is definitely not constant, and am just trying to eliminate it altogether...

Don't assume it is fear aggression (as per your comment on the other thread). It could be a a number of things, including resource guarding.

I hate to be blunt, but it is hard decision time. Wither you:

i) Return the rescue dog. A lot of people don't want to do this but it will save you a lot of money and stress.

ii) Engage a behaviourist and be prepared to spend money, time and deal with a fair whack of stress. Bear in mind that even if you do everything that they say 100% no one can guarantee that things will improve. Ever. This may mena when they come inside they are constantly separated (because if the BC gets sick of getting snarled at and retaliates - which is very normal and understandable - you might land up with a dead chi. Thsi means crating, rotating etc and spending enough time with each of them alone.

FWIW, I have a rescue with issues (fear aggression). I love her dearly and do my best by her but to be brutally honest if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have got her. I feel horrible to write it but it is the truth. Don't feel guilty about returning the rescue dog, as HW says, your current dog is your priority (even if they're the one with the issues).

If you're in SA Mark Singer is often recommended on this forum as a behaviourist.

Don't assume it is fear aggression (as per your comment on the other thread). It could be a a number of things, including resource guarding.

I hate to be blunt, but it is hard decision time. Wither you:

i) Return the rescue dog. A lot of people don't want to do this but it will save you a lot of money and stress.

ii) Engage a behaviourist and be prepared to spend money, time and deal with a fair whack of stress. Bear in mind that even if you do everything that they say 100% no one can guarantee that things will improve. Ever. This may mena when they come inside they are constantly separated (because if the BC gets sick of getting snarled at and retaliates - which is very normal and understandable - you might land up with a dead chi. Thsi means crating, rotating etc and spending enough time with each of them alone.

FWIW, I have a rescue with issues (fear aggression). I love her dearly and do my best by her but to be brutally honest if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have got her. I feel horrible to write it but it is the truth. Don't feel guilty about returning the rescue dog, as HW says, your current dog is your priority (even if they're the one with the issues).

If you're in SA Mark Singer is often recommended on this forum as a behaviourist.

Thank you-I will definitely look into that.