Night Time Toilet

waybev

Hi All

I have a 11 month old ACD who is very good with his toileting, we live in a motorhome and he always lets us know when he needs to go. A couple of months ago he was going through the night without waking us but lately he is waking us in the middle of the night to pee and poop, he gets taken outside before we go to bed which is between 9 and 10 most nights some a bit earlier some a bit later. He stopped having breakfast 2 months ago by his own doing so he is feed between 6 and 7 most nights.

Would we be better to give him morning meals allowing him to burn off and get ride of everything or is there something else we could maybe try.

If you must only feed once a day, i would feed morning. If you find this makes him antsy at bed time you could try feeding him a raw meaty bone around 6ish, so he has something in his tum at least.

We also feed in the morning with the occassional snack at night.

You might find for a day or two he may not eat his breakfast and then come looking for food at night (since he has already stopped having breakfast) but you do have to be a bit tough and not give in until he works out breakfast is the main meal ...

• 2 weeks later...

I feed morning and night (about 6-7pm) and make sure he definitely goes to the toilet outside before bed. We don't go outside until he does it, because I know he has to (he doesn't get off the couch or his bed for most of the evening, haha). The only reason he might protest to going to the toilet at night is because the grass is wet and cold and he's a prissy wuss about it, lol. We have been successful with this method, not once have I needed to get up at 3am to let him out to use the bathroom since we started that.

• 2 weeks later...

We are still giving our boy a morning and night fed.

He is only getting a cup in his bowl at each meal, so I don't know if this is too much.

But I feel it is about right for him, as he isn't fat or overweight now at all.

We did have him in a crate for a while but he showed us he didn't want to spend his nights in there.

But while in the crate we use to take him out at about 11 to midnight.

then he was in the crate all night until about 7 to 8 am.

And only once he had a misshap. It wasn't his fault as he had eaten some spoiled fruit and this played up with him.

This was the only time while in the crate.

So each night this would happen in the crate till early morning taken outside to relive himself and then fed.

Outside once more then back in for a while then back out for a while to play.

this worked for us, but it might not for others.